Recomendations for advanced trails in Montrose, CO area?

I am planning a trip out to the Montrose, CO area to do some riding and am looking to get recommendations on which trails are more technical and/or advanced. I am already planning to ride the Peach Valley OHV open area and the Sidewinder trail. I am looking to avoid the beginner/intermediate open desert and atv trails.  Anyone have recommendations on the more advanced trails in the area? Thanks for any info.

Edited by manco

22 hours ago, manco said:

I am planning a trip out to the Montrose, CO area to do some riding and am looking to get recommendations on which trails are more technical and/or advanced. I am already planning to ride the Peach Valley OHV open area and the Sidewinder trail. I am looking to avoid the beginner/intermediate open desert and atv trails.  Anyone have recommendations on the more advanced trails in the area? Thanks for any info.

Like you said Sidewinder is good. Also look at Red Rocks Nigh Horse trail and Black Ridge. They run on the rim above the black canyon. The ditches (Monster, techno, etc are always fun. If you search for Flat Top - Peach Valley recreation area you can find the free BLM map online or in Avenza.

Ad then close but you need to trailer to is the Dry Creek trail system. The BLM has a map online for Dry Creek and MTB Project also has good details on the trails (they are moto and mtb legal)

Edited by zzsean

1 hour ago, zzsean said:

Like you said Sidewinder is good. Also look at Red Rocks Nigh Horse trail and Black Ridge. They run on the rim above the black canyon. The ditches (Monster, techno, etc are always fun. If you search for Flat Top - Peach Valley recreation area you can find the free BLM map online or in Avenza.

Ad then close but you need to trail to is the Dry Creek trail system. The BLM has a map online for Dry Creek and MTB Project also has good details on the trails (they are moto and mtb legal)

Thanks for the tips. I am gonna look into the trails and the Dry Creek trail system you recommended. Gonna be a fun trip.

Just a heads up for reference to others reading this thread: The Peach Valley - Flat Top map at Avenza maps can also be found at Stay The Trail in geo pdf and KMZ form at this link http://www.staythetrail.org/content.aspx?page_id=22&club_id=266593&module_id=224600 Its under the Gunnison Gorge National Conservation Area listing. Unfortunately whether the map comes from Avenza or Stay Trail its an outdated map from 2007. It doesn't have Sidewinder and other newer trails are missing. Some trails have been rerouted since the 2007 edition as well. Still a good map for what is shown its just outdated. I have searched all over the net and can't find a modern geo referenced map of the area. The modern map in basic pdf form can be found here at the BLM site https://www.blm.gov/sites/blm.gov/files/uploads/programs_national-conservation-lands_colorado_gunnison-gorge_NCA_Flat-Top_Peach-Valley-OHV-Area.pdf

Also here is the BLM main page for the Gunnison Gorge NCA where Peach Valley - Flat Top OHV Areas are located https://www.blm.gov/programs/national-conservation-lands/colorado/gunnison-gorge-nca

Edited by manco

On 9/5/2017 at 8:15 AM, enduro-ince said:

If you want to get into the real gnar head out to dry creek and hit Cactus Canyon.

IMG_0026_2_zpsdc11241d.jpg

Ugh.  Rock crawling a dirt bike.  NO!  I had enough of that in my Jeep to last 10 lifetimes.  There are gnarly, fun trails, and then there is rock crawling^^.

2 hours ago, cjjeepercreeper said:

Ugh.  Rock crawling a dirt bike.  NO!  I had enough of that in my Jeep to last 10 lifetimes.  There are gnarly, fun trails, and then there is rock crawling^^.

yea its different for sure. i love the workout. its the funnest way i know to get in shape. heart exploding, drooling out the side of your mouth, coolant inhaling shape.. good times! Plus no one is going to accuse us of messing up trails and there will be no pretentious hikers or mtn bikers around to give me stink eye. 

• Like 1