Edelbrock Pumper Carb Tuning

On my XR400 I have an edelbrock quicksilver pumper carb. I am not familiar with tuning on it... it starts easy, runs great.. except if I have it full throttle and chop the throttle, it wants to die for a few seconds, or idles very lowly then returns to normal.. I have the idle set to 2k rpm. I may drop the needle a bit, not sure what else to do.?? I took carb apart 2 times now and cleaned it very well.

36875526971_1d9c386daf_h_d.jpg

there is very little adjustment on these - that is the beauty of them. the only adjustment is the needle height and if you are lucky you have the red quick adjust knob fitted to the top

2k rpm is high, so i would set the tickover to 1250 and then play with the needle setting.

on mine i had an issue with the wheel that the throttle cable nipples clip into, turning a little on the shaft so that it wouldn't throttle down fully. i drilled an indentation in the shaft for the grub screw to catch hold of.

It has the red knob, I spun it around but I can't feel any clicks. If I set it any lower than 2k it dies when I let off the throttle after wide open throttle.

you push the knob down to engage with the needle - i have a manual if you PM - can't attach it as the forum only allows pictures

Old post i know but for others searching for info on these carbs, to adjust the needle richer or leaner you turn the bike off and then hold the throttle wide open & then press down on the red adjuster knob on top and it will engage the adjustment clicker  . and  as ffman said your problem could be linked to the throttle wheel bolt that secures the wheel being loose, on my carb the  nut was loose on the inside of the throttle wheel and it made my throttle stay open a bit if i blipped the throttle . i used blue locktite on the bolt.

On 2/14/2018 at 6:22 PM, doh13 said:

Old post i know but for others searching for info on these carbs, to adjust the needle richer or leaner you turn the bike off and then hold the throttle wide open & then press down on the red adjuster knob on top and it will engage the adjustment clicker  . and  as ffman said your problem could be linked to the throttle wheel bolt that secures the wheel being loose, on my carb the  nut was loose on the inside of the throttle wheel and it made my throttle stay open a bit if i blipped the throttle . i used blue locktite on the bolt.

What is the throttle wheel bolt?