how many hours or miles? original tires

dumb question buy my buddy has a 2005 250x he might want to sell me. its on stock tires, rear is about 3/16 of an inch left. he has done mostly logging roads with the bike and maybe 3 days of single track.  any clue on hours or miles the bike has done?   he has no clue, bike was mostly ridden the first few years he owned it. sat last 6 it least. I plan on checking the valve clearance before buying it.  I think it must be less than 100 hours. maybe 2000 miles.?  I ride all single track. not sure how fast tires would wear on logging roads only. 

Don't bother too much trying to judge usage by tire wear.

If not prepped, sitting for 6 years isn't much better as the engine might have accumulated condensation etc.

Really depends how it was ridden and maintained,

if he has no clue about total hours he likely has no clue about air/oil & filter intervals and valve clearances, linkage grease etc.

Some people are great at keeping their bikes clean and spotless but clueless at anything mechanical.

A well maintained but scratched up 200 hour bike is better than a 50 hour super clean but mechanically neglected one.

Look it over very closely and no matter the potential low hours, as with any 10 year old bike expect some 'un-expected' repairs.

Also, early 2004-06 CRF's were the most prone to valvetrain issues, the cylinder head/valve seats being improved on later models.

Edited by mlatour

Tire wear is directly proportional to RPM and wrist twist. If I get frisky on too many logging roads I can quickly round the knobs on my X.  If only trail riding the tires will last a lot longer. I run radial ply Trials tires so my wear experience won't apply to a knobby, but when I ran knobbies they were good for about one riding season.

I think better indicators would be how often he changed the oil, any mods to the bike like CCC mods and JD jetting, and the results of checking valve clearance. On the latter, when I bought my X the PO said he had reshimed the valves, bad indicator because I had to reshim three times to get thru the first riding season. The following winter I put on a near new 09 top end and everything has been fine since then.  The timing chain was also badly worn so I figure the engine had a lot of hours, but it was 8 years old.  Piston was still in tolerance and had most of the Honda OEM coating. Rings were close to limit.  And the Nikasil plated cylinder was still perfect.