Checks required after overheating engine?

I came off the bike on the weekend in snotty slippery conditions. In the process, I knocked off a radiator hose.

Lost a lot of coolant, emptied the reservoir. No mobile reception and miles from any sort of civilization. Oh yeah... riding solo. 

So left with no choice I had to get the bike back from where it was. I effected a bush repair on the radiator hose. For those of you who don't know the hose clamps on the CRF have a 6mm hex head. There is no slot to enable you to use a screwdriver to adjust them. To make matters worse the standard toolkit has no pliers and no 6mm spanner.

I found a puddle with clean water and an old beer can on the side of the track and used it to fill the reservoir. Not sure why I didn't think to put the water in via the radiator? Anyhow I then had to ride another 70 km to get home. I tried my best to minimize engine damage with the bike regularly overheating. I coasted down hills and kept the revs as low as possible. When the engine temperature light came on, I would stop the bike and then turn the ignition back on so that the thermo fan kept running. After stopping for several minutes while the engine cooled down, I would ride another couple of kilometres until the light came on again and just kept repeating the process until I got home.

When I got home I read the workshop manual that is posted on thumpertalk. Big shout out to whoever made that available to us all because the owners manual seems to think that every job needs to be done by a factory trained technician.

Quickly realised that there was an airlock in the cooling system and rectified it the next day.

My question is this?

How likely is damage to the engine after repeated episodes of the temperature warning indicator lighting up?

Are there any standard checks I should run?

Any other advice?  (aside from the obvious! i.e. don't ride solo, customise the standard toolkit, don't fall off....etc...)

Appreciate any feedback.

Cheers

Taz

oh yeah the youtube of it is at Fell off, damaged bike, got stuck 

Most major Damage would be pretty immediate, and would include: warped head (burning oil, burning coolant, loss of compression), burned valves ( loss of compression, maybe burning oil). The only thing I can think of that may not show itself immediately is damage to the water pump, but as far as being able to check it I'm not sure.

I would think that since you kept shutting it down as soon as the light would come on, it's probably fine. Maybe ride it around locally for a few days and see if anything pops up.

As they say, luck favors the prepared, so I would definitely recommend adding some tools to the kit. That said, nice work on being resourceful and getting yourself back.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using ThumperTalk mobile app

Most major Damage would be pretty immediate, and would include: warped head (burning oil, burning coolant, loss of compression), burned valves ( loss of compression, maybe burning oil). The only thing I can think of that may not show itself immediately is damage to the water pump, but as far as being able to check it I'm not sure.

I would think that since you kept shutting it down as soon as the light would come on, it's probably fine. Maybe ride it around locally for a few days and see if anything pops up.

As they say, luck favors the prepared, so I would definitely recommend adding some tools to the kit. That said, nice work on being resourceful and getting yourself back.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using ThumperTalk mobile app

Thanks. I'm assuming the power loss would be very noticeable. I think I got away with it.

Sent from my SM-G930F using ThumperTalk mobile app

• Like 2

You got away with it, temp light comes on before the real heat hits.