DRZ400SM - only 110km /68 miles from a full tank. Me or the bike?

Greetings!

New to riding and I've just bought a 2012 DRZ400SM, great bike. However, on a full tank (without resorting yet to reserves) I'm only getting roughly 110-120km. Good mate of mine has the same bike, but the 2007 model, and gets roughly 150-170km from a full tank (without resorting yet to reserves). 

As I've been informed, my riding style has been completely wrong, I've been cruising around the city at 60kmph in either first or second gear. I know the higher you rev the engine, the more fuel youre gonna consume, but is it this drastic? Surely my riding style, which has now changed as of today, doesn't result in burning that much more fuel, lowering my km per tank by a whopping 40-50km!. I guess I'll find out in a few weeks time when I run this tank dry, but I thought I'd take it to you guys, since you'll probably know the answer anyway. Could there be something else wrong with my bike?

Cheers!

I've got a '17 400S and I'm getting about 115km before reserve - and I'm not running around at high revs - still in break-in period so not wringing it yet.  Bigger tank is on the horizon.  Last bunch of tankfuls were giving about 14 km/litre. Always seem to be putting gas in.

Weird, on my 2016 S I can hit 100 miles before switching to reserve.
High rpm in first just to cruise ? That doesn't make sens.

My 2017 sm gets me between 52 and 60mpg (4.5 to 3.9 l/100km). Side note, do you use l/100km and not km/l? That's the metric unit google gave.

The bike is still in break in, and the 52 was much more high revs doing 70ish home. Around town, even beating on it, 58-60 seems normal.

1 hour ago, IamR3D88 said:

My 2017 sm gets me between 52 and 60mpg (4.5 to 3.9 l/100km). Side note, do you use l/100km and not km/l? That's the metric unit google gave.

The bike is still in break in, and the 52 was much more high revs doing 70ish home. Around town, even beating on it, 58-60 seems normal.

Yeah, we use l/100km, but when I fill I just note that I've gone X kilometers and put in Y litres, to km/l falls out of the division easily without worrying about about the whole 100km thing - easier math.  Oh, we use Imperial gallons too = 4.546 litres vs 3.785 litres per US gallon.  Make life easy (NOT).  I learned pints/quarts/gallons in school and Canada went metric long after the numbers had been drilled home.

14km/l is about 33mpg (I'm assuming US mpg as the MacOS is likely not speaking in Imp. gallons.)

Edited by DaveSw
small add.

Greetings!

New to riding and I've just bought a 2012 DRZ400SM, great bike. However, on a full tank (without resorting yet to reserves) I'm only getting roughly 110-120km. Good mate of mine has the same bike, but the 2007 model, and gets roughly 150-170km from a full tank (without resorting yet to reserves). 
As I've been informed, my riding style has been completely wrong, I've been cruising around the city at 60kmph in either first or second gear. I know the higher you rev the engine, the more fuel youre gonna consume, but is it this drastic? Surely my riding style, which has now changed as of today, doesn't result in burning that much more fuel, lowering my km per tank by a whopping 40-50km!. I guess I'll find out in a few weeks time when I run this tank dry, but I thought I'd take it to you guys, since you'll probably know the answer anyway. Could there be something else wrong with my bike?

Cheers!

Set your odometer percentage to 100 for stock wheel size. I thought i was getting terrible mileage for a while and it was because I had my odometer set to 70% for small wheel size. Its in your owners manual how to change it.

Sent from my SM-G935V using ThumperTalk mobile app

• Like 2

I've recently gotten an 03 400E (which I REALLY LIKE) and have not done a true miles per gallon or KM to Litres test yet BUT IMO it likes to burn gas.

Now with that said I would have to look to see what the gearing is and I've been riding say 70% road 30% trails. On the road, I ride it like a street bike so get it into 5th pretty quick.

As a suggestion and what I've done on my CRF250R and will be doing on the 400E shortly is.

I've tested this twice on 2 different types/duration of rides and came out with the exact same results and know I can safely ride about 140km before running out of gas.

You have to change KM's to miles and Litres to gallons.

Completely drain the gas tank.

Using an accurate measuring bottle (I used a 2L one with ML markings on the side), fill the tank and note this.

Tank Holds - 9.3L

Start a GPS (what I prefer) or the bike odometer and Rode - 80km

Filled tank with same bottle and used = 4.8L to ride 80kms

9.3L - 4.8L = 4.5L balance of gas in tank after riding 80km

80km / 4.8L = 16.7km

4.5L x 16.7km = 75kM

80km + 75km = 155km on full tank of gas so I could push say 140km safely.

Sorry for the math but once I do this I'll now exactly how many KM's I can do a a full tank of gas including reserve on the 400E or any other bike for that matter.

I've recently gotten an 03 400E (which I REALLY LIKE) and have not done a true miles per gallon or KM to Litres test yet BUT IMO it likes to burn gas.

To my knowledge, the E is worse on gas. More exhaust flow and carb make it faster but less efficient.
  • Like 1

As I've been informed, my riding style has been completely wrong, I've been cruising around the city at 60kmph in either first or second gear.

Cheers!

Holy cow man!!! You're riding around like 1 of those squids on a stretched R6!

Not only was every other real motorcycle rider pointing and laughing at you, you were putting unnecessary strain and wear on the engine.

In 1st gear the rpms were at 9300 at 60 KM (37mph). 2nd wasn't much better at around 7300.

If you were in the correct gear (5th) you would only be at 3500 rpm. That makes a huge difference!

Sent from my XT1650 using ThumperTalk mobile app

• Like 2

Just now, IamR3D88 said:

To my knowledge, the E is worse on gas. More exhaust flow and carb make it faster but less efficient.

My plated 03E gets no better than 45mpg street, and around 20mpg off-road

My plated 03E gets no better than 45mpg street, and around 20mpg off-road
Damn, yea, when my sm got 60 it was about 20% off road, 20% gravel roads, and 60% paved roads.

I am still running in my 2017 drz400e and on the road with 14-47 gearing and knoobys I was getting 160km before going to reserve so the OP either has an issue with the bike or ringing the neck off in first and second gear.

It will be interesting to see if there is any difference with the supermoto conversion 17" wheels with 15-44 gearing.

just went thru my very first tank yesterday. 81.7 or 87.1 (either one of those 2, don't remember exactly which one) miles when the bike shut off on me while cruising the highway lol.  talk about an oh shit moment.

1 hour ago, corey4 said:

just went thru my very first tank yesterday. 81.7 or 87.1 (either one of those 2, don't remember exactly which one) miles when the bike shut off on me while cruising the highway lol.  talk about an oh shit moment.

That sudden loss of fuel can certainly get your attention.  I always run on reserve and refuel when the trip meter shows 100 miles.   If you run REALLY low on gas you can still lean the bike way over on the left side and get the fuel that was trapped in the lower right side of the tank.  I went for a nice 130 mile ride in the mountains yesterday and even though I was on it a lot, the old DRZ still got 56 MPG.   You should get better mileage once it is broken in some.

Enjoy your new bike. :ride:

• Like 1

On my older bikes, I ran on RES too. I just want to get a good average on the next few tanks.

Yeah, we use l/100km, but when I fill I just note that I've gone X kilometers and put in Y litres, to km/l falls out of the division easily without worrying about about the whole 100km thing - easier math.  Oh, we use Imperial gallons too = 4.546 litres vs 3.785 litres per US gallon.  Make life easy (NOT).  I learned pints/quarts/gallons in school and Canada went metric long after the numbers had been drilled home.
14km/l is about 33mpg (I'm assuming US mpg as the MacOS is likely not speaking in Imp. gallons.)
So....how many grains is that ?....lol

1 hour ago, LoLoSama said:
On 9/4/2017 at 1:27 PM, DaveSw said:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LoLoSama said:
On 9/4/2017 at 10:27 AM, DaveSw said:

Or, just maybe it's 42

• Like 1

1 gallon of gas weighs 6.3lbs. there are 7000 grains in a pound. Maybe I miss understood?