Going off-road

My boy and I usually ride MX, but we have decided to participate in a 2h off-road race just for fun :) The "track" will be a mix of fields, forest and what else they can find.

I am not too worried about my CRF250R as it will probably outlast me by quite a bit, but the boy can usually keep going for a lot longer...so, will a standard CRF150R be up for the task? Or are there something I absolutely need to modify if he is to finish?

My friends wife rides a 150r with a flywheel weight and it made a world of difference. I'm 210 and it made it luggable enough that I was able to put around on trail in second. I'll be putting one on my wifes

• Like 1

Just make sure you don't idle it too long and overheat the engine.

No movement / airflow thru rads = no cooling.

When stuck in tight spots or waiting up for other riders, 

make it a habit for you and your son to shut off your engines if more than 20-30 seconds of idling at a standstill is required.

In general, off-roading requires softer compression and rebound adjustments

for better compliance and traction over roots & rocks versus absorbing MX style landings.

If you can find a 1-tooth smaller counter shaft sprocket for each bike,

that's a cheap 'mod' (should fit with the stock length chain) to help cope with the tall 1st gear in tight situations.

If you then find you like to participate more in these events, as suggested above by bfaucett

a flywheel weight does help make the engine more tractable.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1

Thank you both for the suggestions. I don't think a one-off event warrants a flyweel weight, but I will keep it in mind if we end up going to more events :) 

Changing suspension settings and sprockets are definitely doable, and good advice on shutting down when standing still. I must admit that it was overheating that I was most worried about.

• Like 1

I had a crf250r for a back up bike briefly and the only thing I liked about it was the suspension and ergonomics on trail. I wouldn't slow comp and rebound more than a couple clicks starting out.

My buddy has a 250 as well and only time he has had issues overheating was in mud. If you're moving you'll be fine. Lower gearing is a great suggestion. I would personally recommend 2 tooth larger rear but that cost considerably more and may require new chain.

Suggestions for the race itself are, take breaks if you start making mistakes before they lead to crashes and when being passed by upper classes, if there isn't enough room to get out of the way, maintain pace.

• Like 1

my son and i trail ride.  he does harescramble races too.  before he even rode his 150r i installed a steahly flywheel weight and a 428 chain with lowered gearing for tight woods riding.  -1 up front.  i check coolant after most rides.  we have not overheated once this season.

have fun

• Like 2

My son and I ride Motocross and do GP type races.  His bike is set up for MX and he has no problems with it.  Yes, he has to use the clutch in tighter stuff, but it taught him to finesse the clutch as opposed to what he was used to in MX, on and off.  Our stuff consists of everything from WFO short stretches to MX track to single track.

Dave

• Like 1

Thank you guys for all the input. I ordered the smaller gears just to be sure :)

But now the race has been canceled, so I don't know when we will get the chance to ride off-road again. Here in Denmark you usually have to have a road legal bike and drivers licence to ride off-road, so we will have to wait a bit for the next of these kinds of races where we can use our MX bikes.