2015 CRF450R Suspension Swap Options

Folks,

Been off the site for a very long time....skydiving became an addiction and affording two sports became a little expensive so MX was put on hold for a while. Anyway, I did perform a search for the information I am looking for and came up blank. I've also contacted a few big name suspension companies for advice with results ranging from no reply - generic "we can fix anything" to thorough explanation and suggestions.

That said, I would still like to hear about success stories, failures, correct options for what I'm looking to do. I purchased a 2015 CRF450R used (lightly) with 50 verified hours on it. Everything is in amazing shape (I tore it down upon purchase) and I have been very happy with almost everything. I tried my best to not buy into the "air forks=bad" internet chatter but after several hours riding my bike, adjusting this and that...I am thoroughly unhappy with the suspension.

I suppose I should give a bit of background info. Vet junior rider (mid to upper pack rider/hung with an intermediate rider for one lap and then I was tanked), 164lbs, strictly motocross. I'm not bothered by checking air pressure multiple times during the day so that's not the issue with the suspension. I do have a problem with the fact that the forks bottom out very easy, I have experienced wicked head-shake after a couple large jumps and in general the suspension simply does not feel comfortable.

When I had my 08 CRF450R I loved everything about the suspension and only had it valved when my speed really picked up (7+ years ago). I'm now slower but gaining momentum again. So according to one suspension company (gave the most detailed reply) I have a few options if I want to swap out the air forks for good old spring forks. Apparently 2013/14 CRF250R and a couple years older KYB's off of a 450. He even stated he's seen someone running a set of Showa's off an 08 on a 2015.

I'm concerned about fork geometry. Are there length differences, lug offset differences....etc. I know the 250 forks are 47mm and the 450's are 48mm. Really makes no difference other than flex characteristics since the outer tubes are the same diameter. Obviously other than suggesting a pair of spring forks that will swap right in (other than brake caliper) I'm looking for real world experience. Obviously I would have to get the 250 forks sprung and valved, the 450 forks would have to be valved and possibly sprung. Or has anyone had great success with their PSF2 forks after being valved?

The last consideration I have to take into account is the fact that I am very comfortable with the internals of a good old spring fork. I am NOT comfortable with the internals of the PSF2 fork.

So after that long post does anyone have suggestions, advice, experience?

IMG_0089.JPG

Edited by mxr73

The trouble with the psf2 is, even if valved well the adjusters don't function as they should , I would look at a spring fork

you can't argue with stupid or Yamaha owners

I ended up finding a 13' CRF250R fork set that was in great shape.  Had Factory Connection re-valve and re-spring them.  My 15' is now one of the best suspended/handling bike's I've ridden, for sure the best that I have ever owned.  PSF2's are garbage, might want to look into a SDI shock clevis also, it will make your rear shock adjustable.

FYI, The 13/14 250 forks are also 48mm.

• Like 1

I have a kx450f and it had the PSF forks.  Tjeu were great for bottoming but just couldn't get them feeling good turning.  I did a lot of research and measurements and I swapped a set of 2007 yz250f forks.  All I had to do was bore upper triple, have the axle spacers machined down. And shim the brake caliper.  Rides so nice now.