CHEAP DR350 - Do I buy it?

I need a rational person who has dealt with DRs. 

1992 DR350

28K miles

800$ - everything works so he says

He says it has electric start... but it must be aftermarket. It does appear that this may be a bit of a basket case. I'm handy and am not afraid to tear a 4T down to the crank bearings. It's an adventure!

The question; is 800$ worth the work it probably needs? I can get one that looks better for $1500-2000. 

I've purchased basket cases before just for the entertainment value, but it can be really easy to bury yourself on the wrong 'lost cause.' 

https://www.ksl.com/classifieds/listing/45280836

Agreed, not a bad deal with estart and upgraded tank. Doesn't look like a basket case to me, actually looks pretty clean and listing says everything works. 23k miles is up there but if cared for it should have many miles left.

On 9/5/2017 at 9:18 AM, plugeye said:

the mileage is irrelevant since the engine is a transplant.

Indeed, unless they were transplants from the same bike, which seems quite possible. Not much detail available.

9 hours ago, Tekime said:

Indeed, unless they were transplants from the same bike, which seems quite possible. Not much detail available.

actually impossible as the electric-start DR350SE engine began in 1994, the DR250SE began in 1993.

look at the cylinder base on the left side to make sure its a 350:

16308319962_3368c7b9b0_c.jpg

17 hours ago, Tekime said:

oh, you meant the odo & engine. i was thinking the odo would probably be from the frame

Yeah, odo and engine. I don't know the models really well, but if the bike is a '92 that would mean the frame is a '92 right? So the odo/motor/other bits might have come off a donor bike? I guess the seller could answer all that lol

Either way, in these parts you don't get a street legal DR in good shape for under $1k, seems like a good price.

• Like 1

I am living the decision that you are pondering. I got a 98 DR from a friend who had a bad crash on it last year and parked it afterwards,  but I hadn't ever really checked the bike out prior to buying it even though I had worked on it a few years ago. I just had him drop it off at my work, I figured a 1998 with 4500 miles for a grand. how bad could it be?  Well a lack of maintenance by the previous owners and Somewhere along the way some work was done by someone who shouldn't be allowed to hold a tool in their  hand. I thought the bike needed a good cleaning. My goal was to clean it up, new plastics and seat cover and I would have a buddy bike, right?   Not so fast. Blown shock that someone had "lowered", clogged carb, seized bearings in the swing arm that needed to go to a machine shop and be cut out. Dead battery, valves past the end of adjustment, yada yada yada. I really want this bike to be correct and it will, but at a cost. My advise is NEVER buy a bike without a complete history of maintenance and mods done. The last thing you want is a surprise that is going to cost you time and money...

Late to the thread.....and obviously quasi resurrecting it.  I just bought a 1997 350SE that needed a major carb rebuild (took me 3 hours just to get some of it apart and cleaned!) with 7200 miles on it for $900.  Just sayin.  I feel like a bike with those issues, those miles, and that old should be nowhere near $800.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Border411 said:

Late to the thread.....and obviously quasi resurrecting it.  I just bought a 1997 350SE that needed a major carb rebuild (took me 3 hours just to get some of it apart and cleaned!) with 7200 miles on it for $900.  Just sayin.  I feel like a bike with those issues, those miles, and that old should be nowhere near $800.

what price would you say then?

1 hour ago, Border411 said:

Hell....I would hit him at $500.... The worst he would say is NO.  

on the other hand, if i were the seller i wouldn't take less than 1500

Edited by plugeye

I try not to comment on price because different parts of the country can vary by a lot.  Normally I suggest that you look through the local craig's list ad's, check NADA, factor in condition and how much it's going to cost you to get it to a level that you want the bike to be in ~ then go shopping.  When the numbers work go for it. 

In the case of that DR350 I can't comment because the ad has been pulled, but by going off of just what the OP stated, $800 in my area could be reasonable.