New Bike

Hey guys, 

new to this forum and I'm about to get back into riding. I'm really looking at getting a kx250f to start with as it's been quite a few years since I rode last(I'm 20 years old now and stoped when I was 13 or 14). My question to you all is are there specific years of the kx I should be looking to buy and are there years I should stay away from? Is this bike overall reliable as long as proper maintenance is used(oil changes after every 2-3 rides, change air filter after every ride). Also when I'm looking on Craigslist at bikes for sale a lot of these bikes say they have rebuilt engines. Is that a normal thing to do or should that be a red flag? 

Thanks guys

Generally speaking, each year is better than the previous but usually only minor differences. Although 2011+ are all fuel injected which does make a big difference.

Also kx250f has been regarded as the most race worthy bike out of the box making it a hell of a lot of fun to ride, but with race bike performance comes race bike maintenance so keep that in mind

And engines need to be rebuilt after a while.. as long as it's done properly, it's normal and inevitable. I'd be more afraid of an older bike with an original engine tbh

• Like 1

Thanks for your input, very helpful! As far as race bike maintenance what exactly do you mean by that? I'm trying to figure out how much it will cost to maintain. Also if I were to buy one that is mostly stock what would be some aftermarket parts you would buy right away? 

I have a 2009 kx250f. Bought with less than an hour on a fully rebuilt motor. And I have loved it ever since.  Have had the forks rebuilt with aftermarket seals kits and just put in a rekluse torq drive clutch (that I haven't tested out yet). Overall I love my bike to death regardless of it not being fuel injected. 

Edited by Mouton151
  • Like 1

The owners manual is very descriptive on maintenance schedules and is definitely something you should have
Basically keep on top of oil changes, air filters, valves in spec.. that sorta thing, treat her right and she'll return the favour
I have an 08 kx250f that been wonderful to me, first thing I did was twist the throttle, got the jetting and suspension dial in, and twisted the throttle some more .. rip it, have fun and mod things once you start noticing weak spots

• Like 1

Can someone tell me the differences between the Kawasaki kx250f and the Honda crf250r? I'm debating between the two and really don't know what the differences are. I realize being in the Kawasaki forum I'm going to get some biased but hopefully you can help me out. 

Haven't ridden any cr250f's so hopefully someone else chimes in but to my understanding they have a lot milder, less tourqy engine than the kxf... until fuel injection atleast

That being said I have noticed that they are quieter

• Like 1

A few years back I rode a CRF250R and really enjoyed it.  Felt very quick and nimble and never a question of not enough power.  However, I am NOT a seasoned/expert rider as I too have been out of the game for quite a while.  Im 42 and last time I regularly rode dirt bikes I was 14.  Accept for the 1 year, at 40 years old, when I bought a WR450 and nearly killed myself on it.  Needless to say, the WR had to go.  Way too heavy and needed too much to be a strong trustworthy bike.  

Now I have a 2005 KX250F. I can't tell you whether or not I like it, as I've just bought it a few weeks ago and it doesn't run.  Tore it apart and found a cracked piston.  I'm in the process of a top end rebuild.  

• Like 1

Nice! Let me know how you like the kx once you get it running. I'm leaning towards the kx because I know they have a little more power and I like those sort of bikes. Hard decision though as I've had Hondas most of my riding life and so has my dad but I've never ridden a 250 honda... the largest bike I've ever been on was an xr100. 

I bought a 2011 kx250f with low hours and it runs like a dream. Never had a problem with it and it has a ton of power. I rode a friends 2016 crf250 and my kx to me seemed a little bit hotter. Both mine and his are mostly stock bikes.

• Like 1

On 9/5/2017 at 8:14 AM, Jblackburn said:

Nice! Let me know how you like the kx once you get it running. I'm leaning towards the kx because I know they have a little more power and I like those sort of bikes. Hard decision though as I've had Hondas most of my riding life and so has my dad but I've never ridden a 250 honda... the largest bike I've ever been on was an xr100. 

Just some more comments to consider that may or may not be helpful.  All the bikes in this size and type are VERY close.  Any will be same cost ballpark, fun to ride, and all will require regular maintenance.  Just from observation tho, it appears that overall the better running bike that requires the least amount of attention - meaning seems to have fewer show stopper issues - is the Yamaha.  It may not be as high strung as the Kawi or Honda, however may outlast them and cumulative cost less in the long run.