How much to charge for valve seals, piston, cam chain.

A fellow rider asked me how much it would cost him to have me change his valve seals. I suggested also doing a piston/rings, and cam chain as well. However I have no idea how much I should charge him. He's a not a close friend he's a friend of a friend but I still don't want to rip him off. Any ideas? Or know how much a dealer would charge. Bike is a 2014 or 15 YZ450F.

Just price of parts plus whatever you want to charge for your labor. I don't know about dirt bike mechanics, but when I was working for a car mechanic, he charged $90/hr for labor. A quick google seems to show that $70-80/hr is typical of a bike shop. I would think something like $50/hr for labor would be reasonable.

Just keep in mind doing work for friends of friends may have negative after-the-sale liabilities if something goes wrong, especially if you feel your work is worth charging more than beer money.

If... you are going to consider doing the work and do not know the level of effort, I suggest reconsidering charging at all. Instead, have him get parts and the two of you learn how to do it and how long it takes you to do it. A pro could cut seats, install valves ect. in about 2~3 hours. A garage guy cannot do it at all due to the lack of proper tools (like a SERDI valve seat cutter).

• Like 3

1 minute ago, William1 said:

If... you are going to consider doing the work and do not know the level of effort, I suggest reconsidering charging at all. Instead, have him get parts and the two of you learn how to do it and how long it takes you to do it. A pro could cut seats, install valves ect. in about 2~3 hours. A garage guy cannot do it at all due to the lack of proper tools (like a SERDI valve seat cutter).

A bike that new shouldn't require cutting the seats, lapping them in should do it.

It's $370 to cut valve seats on a 4 valve motor, install new valves (customer provided), and re-install cams, buckets, shims on a customer provided bare cylinder head (no disassembly or reassembly provided). This is from two shop estimates provided recently. 

• Like 1

Make sure the two of you are a good fit and can work together.  It would be good to talk with him in person to get a feel if he is a reasonable individual and what his expectations are. Whatever you decide to charge, put together a proposal in writing and make the details as clear as possible before you start work so no one is surprised after the work is finished.  Make it clear who pays for parts, don't forget cost of misc stuff (sprays, lubes, brake parts cleaner, oil filter gaskets etc). Make it clear what is included, excluded and what your assumptions are, (you expect the head to be rebuildable, you expect the cylinder plating to be in good shape within wear limits and no ridge. Are you charging time and materials or for the whole job?  What is your expected turn around time?  If you find something that is unexpected and out of your control you will need to let him know asap so he can determine how to move forward and confirm that he agrees with the additional expenses for additional labor and parts charges.  Is he brining you the engine or full bike.