XL250R Web Camshaft

Hi yall, I am new here so I will introduce myself.  My name is Collin and I ride a 1982 XL250R.  I got it for a steal because it was smoking a ton.  I did a full top end rebuild on it and now it runs like new!  Now knowing that it is solid and running well, I would like to start adding some more power to the engine considering that it only had 17 horsepower stock...  I have already modded a Pro Circuit Platinum exhaust pipe from a 98 KLX300R to fit on the bike.  I do need to rejet the carburetor, but I probably won't do that until I get a new cam and a pod filter.

Now for cams, I looked for a very long time and finally came across Web Cam Inc.  They have three different grind cams for my bike and I was wanting to see if any of y'all have used any of these grinds before on a 250 and what you would have to say about it.

Also, I am not too good at determining how cam specs will effect the performance of an engine, so if someone know how to do that, could you help me out with the specs below? What would add the most power to my bike (forged piston, free flowing exhaust, pod filter, ported and polished head)? They do give descriptions of what kind of engine each cam would be best for, but my main issue is that I am not sure how to tell if my engine fits into the modified or "well prepared" category..

There is a 402 grind with .360/.360 lift and 238/238 degrees duration at .050.

There is a 340b grind with .372/.372 lift and 248/248 degrees duration at .050.

This one is likely not an option because it is for racing engines, but there is a 389a grind with .390/.390 lift and 250/250 degrees duration at .050. 

http://www.webcamshafts.com/index_blank.html?pages/vehicle_search.html

Thanks in advance!

the pore old xl is probably not the best engine to hot up if your looking for performance. you might be better off selling the xl and get an xr. the xr series is like the race version of the xl. the xr IMO are a better engineered package than the xl and are much more susceptible to modification for performance even though they are already more powerful to begin with. just my 2 cents

ps. I own an 82 xl250r bit of a soggy biscuit. am going to sell soon. worth looking into before you spend big on an old banger. good luck

• Like 1

That is a good point.  I had been wondering why my 250 felt like it had no life in it.  If that is the case, I might go with another idea.  I had thrown around the idea of getting a 250r 2 stroke from an ATC 250 and doing an engine swap.  Has anyone around here on the forum done anything like that?

the problem with that is you still end up with a sub par bike and with a foreign engine it will be worth a LOT less than stock.

weight, suspension, strength, ground clearance the list goes on. still think if you want more bang for your buck youd be better off with another bike all together.

at the end of the day its your money do what you choose but hotting up an old xl is a bit like strapping wings to your car and trying to fly. not going to be real successful.