rear spoke treads exposed

is it normal to have nearly all spoke threads on my rear wheel exposed? front are not exposed, just rear. '06 400s.

IMG_20170904_133435.jpg.0d7604f6f0b86e2e21f444c0907f260d.jpg

IMG_20170904_133429.jpg.598261a473b530eeee0ea4d168f66259.jpg

IMG_20170904_133424.jpg.b54b5928b16e3e8b3d1f6694f5d8ff5e.jpg

Edited by md30

those threads are long... nothing wrong with how they are, they are fully engaged, they get tightened or loosened to make the wheel straight

those threads are long... nothing wrong with how they are, they are fully engaged, they get tightened or loosened to make the wheel straight
+1 this is normal. Good job being observant though!

It's the first thing I noticed when I bought the bike last month. next weekend I'll (hopefully) be taking the wheels apart to powder coat the rims, wasn't sure if I should by a new set of spokes or just have these scrubbed clean. If they are original I think I'll just have them cleaned. 

On that note, for those with experience, has anyone successfully been able to restore old stock spokes to make them shine again, or has the finish just worn off and will scrubbing them just make them more prone to oxidize and rust? 

When I tried to restore my XR spokes with 1500 grit sandpaper, they looked good for a while, but quickly rusted up.

I read about using non-scratch scotch brite pads to clean them, but I don't want to waste my time if the shine won't last.

Steel spokes are almost universally bright zinc plated.  When they age the bright finish goes away. The shine will not last.  Only way to restore is to replate.  Hardly worth the cost.  Options are to replace new or replace with aftermarket stainless spokes.  Stainless spokes will stay bright. and can be repolished.

i thought the drz spokes were stainless but im probably wrong .. the nipples have that electroplated colored zinc finish once its gone not much you can do .. but, in any case spokes take a beating and get sandblasted even on the street, you have to take care of them from new, always and on a regular basis keep detail wax on them and buff them with a T, and never let them sit wet for them to stay looking good and 'flash' .. on older neglected spokes something like happich semichrome polish can bring them back some, still not like new though .... if your taking the rim apart i'd invest in a new set with some happenin nipples and take care of them ..

any recommendations on stainless steel spokes that will file stock rims?

moose makes some that say "stainless steel coated," but I assume coated means that will eventually rub off and oxidize/rust too.

pro-wheel sell them advertised as stainless steel without mentioning coating, but they say they fit the 400s, 400e, and some RM models, even though the stock spokes are supposedly made just for the 400s...  it always makes me a little nervous to buy parts advertised for multiple bikes when the oem part specifies it designed for one model http://www.ebay.com/itm/PRO-WHEEL-RIM-SPOKE-KIT-21-21-SUSPOK-8002164-/332112389886?fits=Model%3ADRZ400S&epid=171185327&hash=item4d5370e6fe:g:q3MAAOSw9GhYk6zi&vxp=mtr

Edited by md30

Piggybacking this,
My rear rim needs to get trued up again. Very obvious in the corners, it's hard to lean the bike low. I do ride off road with my 17s, which could be the cause. But should I get new spokes and nips since I need to get it trued anyway? Maybe they're to blame too.

No such thing as stainless steel coated

They are either stainless steel or not

There is no stainless coating that can be applied

Stainless steel is steel with added chromium and nickel. Its the chromium that gives it its rustproof properties in the form of a self healing chromium oxide layer which forms on the surface to prevent corrosion.

Anyone advertising stainless steel coated is to be avoided as its a con

No such thing as stainless steel coated
They are either stainless steel or not
There is no stainless coating that can be applied
Stainless steel is steel with added chromium and nickel. Its the chromium that gives it its rustproof properties in the form of a self healing chromium oxide layer which forms on the surface to prevent corrosion.
Anyone advertising stainless steel coated is to be avoided as its a con

nice catch, i went back and looked again, apparently moose sells both stainless steel and chrome-plated spokes ($70 vs $50). the listing i saw merged the descriptions for both

I have polished stainless Buchanan spokes and nipples on my 17" rims, looks like a million dollars and costs almost that:-( I could post a picture, but then I would have to clean the bike...

If you go for them, remember to lube the threads well, stainless steel is very prone to galling.

I've sent parts in to have them replated before on restoration projects , wasn't to costly . You can even have them nickel plated so they'll have a shiny goldish hue (not the gold zinc color) , otherwise Buchanan's spokes will be $115 IIRC per set , but much nicer looking than any steel . And yes definitely anti-sieze the threads good .

Just heard back from the folks at Buchanan, for the record. 

The estimated cost is as follow;
36, single gauge stainless steel spokes w/nipples are $104.04 each front set.
36, 8-9gauge stainless steel spokes w/nipples are $118.08 each rear set.
Sales tax=$20.55
Estimated shipping cost is $17.62 via UPS ground.

that's $260. ... Ouch.

For comparison, a new set of OEM spokes (front and rear) would cost about $110 (no tax+free shipping), but as has been noted, the plating will eventually wear off.

Edited by md30

You're in CA, don't worry about it.

8 hours ago, ptgarcia said:

You're in CA, don't worry about it.

Dont worry about what? corrosion due to humidity?

Corrosion due to whatever. Unless you park your bike in the sand at the beach they're not going to corrode enough during the life of the spoke to be an issue. If want them to always be shiny either pony up for the Buchanans or try coating them with something (oil, wax, whatever). You could always put those colored cover things on them, too.