Rebuild or not?

Recently purchased an rm80 believed to be a 94 model as it says rm80 52001 on the engine

piston needs replacing

head needs replacing 

think the cylinder could be welded but doesn't look well where the piston sits ( see pic ) 

coolant was inside drained what I can ( sump plug is rounded off )

will this be hard to source parts?

worth doing? Price wise also?

what do you think?

IMG_4997.JPG

IMG_4999.JPG

IMG_5011.JPG

IMG_5012.JPG

IMG_5014.JPG

IMG_5016.JPG

If you can source a cheap cylinder thats in decent nick id go for it. Expect to sink a bit of money though. If the top end is that beat up id guess the bottoms not much better. Im in awe at the cracks in the cylinder though, how does that even happen? :|

Not a clue bought bike as a project, proving hard to find another cylinder.

weld crack

re sleave

skim 

new head and piston

The crank bearings are probably done for. I wouldn't expect them to last long if they are not replaced.

Are Kawasaki parts close enough to fit or easier to find? I know for a while the RM’s and KX’s were the same, I just don’t know if they were the year of this bike.

Mines a 79cm3 does it have to be the same? Will have a Look at kx parts, been quoted 120 re sleave and 75 for weld but still need a head, piston and gasket set, not sure what's best to do 

Kawasaki and Suzuki were only together from 2004 to 2006, and the rm 80 wasn't a bike that was part of the team effort. <i may get flame for this but I've heard that some low stress part of an engine block can sometime be glued with JB-Weld and the result is sturdy enough that deck height can be machined. I see the outside rim of your cylinder is broken and it might be just the right situation for jb-weld? 

how long was that bottom end filled with water for ?

it will either need a complete rebuild or throw another motor in there

About a day as I got he bike took top end off then emptied it out ( bike upside down ) as the oil dump bolt is rounded 

• Like 1