Off-Road Recreator Pass

Hey Tod,

As I was contemplating the mysteries of the universe this weekend after riding over Horse Head Pass, I noticed the trail was in poor shape.  I'm going to guess that it's the outfitters that run horse trains for fishing and hunting. 

Anyway, I was thinking about all the hikers and mtb bikers I passed.  None of those folks have to pay like us motorcycle dudes do.  In my view of the world, it's only fair that they pay for trail access, too (and they can fund the ferries just like me who lives 100+ miles from a ferry and rides once every 5 years).

Can you introduce an off-road recreator pass that hikers and mtb bikers and horse people would have to buy into the legislative session coming up? 

I think that'd be just peachy!

Thanks for reading.

P1000727.JPG

• Like 2

By the way, if anyone's really familiar with Foggy Dew area, please PM me.  I want to ask you a few questions about trails that I rode.  Thank you.

P1000738.JPG

I was thinking almost the exact same thing recently. We all pay for the D-Pass for parking, but it appears that only moto folks pay for the actual "use" of the trail system. I would LOVE to see the playing field leveled; possibly a "Recreation Pass" OR ORV tabs? One or the other? Or roll everything into a Washington Trails pass and do away with ORV tabs all together. Then, instead of licensing a bike, you license the operator/user/access party. I might have a baker's dozen bikes in the garage, but I can only ride one at a time on the trails. Therefore, why shouldn't it be a "user fee" instead of a blanket fee? If you have a current access pass, then you can ride your horse, MTB, shoes, or motorcycle on the trail system. And then the funds would go direct to the trail system instead of, well, wherever it goes.

• Like 1

if you modify a 2 strokes exhaust stinger to start at the side of the belly instead of at the end of the baffle cone then the noise is cut in half

The green crowd has always objected to paying for their recreation, the moto crowd did it to pay for trails.

My concern with a user fee is moto would lose money for our trails because we are only a small percentage of the users but we can easily cover a lot of trail miles on an outing.

Look at the DP as an example of moto getting screwed.

So if this idea goes much further we will need to mount a big, and possibly expensive, campaign to protect our interests.

pscook, good to know great minds think alike.  I'm all about equality espoused by the green crowd, especially when it comes to paying 'their' fair share.

oldgrunt's got a thread going next door about the DMV and getting hosed for fees. 

Chuck, I think introducing the bill, even if it fails, is a great message to those groups.  Namely, that the ORV crowd won't take it up the 4$$ quietly.  I like to stay a few steps ahead if I can!!  Politics is like chess: one has to be thinking a few moves ahead.

Think of how much money the green crowd can generate for the forest circus and Do Not Recreate groups.

Edited by Nuklhed

When the discover pass stuff was being negotiated, I pointed out to Evergreen that a per person fee was far more appropriate than a per car parking fee.  That got nowhere.  You'd also have to recognize that moto is disproportionately harder on trails than anyone on foot or bicycle.  I would argue horses are the worst of all, by far. 4 legged walking excavators.

Hunters and fisherman - per person, seems fair.

Motorcycles - pay per vehicle, instead of per rider.  Seems pretty unfair.

All other nonmotorized - pay per vehicle parked at the trailhead.  Seems like a giveaway.

I prefer a user fee because I have three motos but only ride one at a time. Although a sticker on a vehicle is easier for the enforcers.

Trail damage can be a complex issue as I have ridden some trails since the sixties and some have changed more than others. Some seem to have changed very little over the years while others have suffered damage.  The FS closed one of my favorite trails because inexperienced riders couldn't ride the switchbacks and tore it up. Each year the trail seemed to be in worst condition until the FS closed it to motorized. Because of fragile trail conditions Cle elum RD wants Trials tires on bikes in the Teanaway. Some of the damage is the result of the Land Managers not correctly routing the trail, or failing to regulate its use. One of the worse trails is Christoff above Greenwater, it follows the fall line straight up to the ridge, horse traffic, weather, and no water bars created a trail with a  very deep center rut. I last rode that trail in the seventies and haven't been back.

3 hours ago, Chuck. said:

I prefer a user fee because I have three motos but only ride one at a time. Although a sticker on a vehicle is easier for the enforcers.

Trail damage can be a complex issue as I have ridden some trails since the sixties and some have changed more than others. Some seem to have changed very little over the years while others have suffered damage.  The FS closed one of my favorite trails because inexperienced riders couldn't ride the switchbacks and tore it up. Each year the trail seemed to be in worst condition until the FS closed it to motorized. Because of fragile trail conditions Cle elum RD wants Trials tires on bikes in the Teanaway. Some of the damage is the result of the Land Managers not correctly routing the trail, or failing to regulate its use. One of the worse trails is Christoff above Greenwater, it follows the fall line straight up to the ridge, horse traffic, weather, and no water bars created a trail with a  very deep center rut. I last rode that trail in the seventies and haven't been back.

but what about us folks that love those big ugly gutters?  Slackkers Lives Matter