Handle bar size help?

I know it's all personal preference but can someone tell me where there might be a guide for handle bar size based on height of the rider? 

I currently have the CR Hi band Pro Taper that came on my 450 when I bought it and while it feels good when standing while riding it feels a little high when trying to keep my elbows up while I'm sitting. Or maybe someone who is around my height of 5' 9" could tell me what they recommend.

Thanks

No such chart exists, AFAIK.  But you have a dilemma.  You're only real choice is experimentation, and that gets expensive.  You will have to compromise, like I have.  I too, have that same bend, and it is great sitting, but too low while standing, I'm 6'.  No bar is perfect, but if you study the charts and look at where you are willing to make changes such as sweep, rise, etc. then you may get lucky and find a bar that works for you on the first try, but I doubt it.  If you are really going to get fussy about your bars you either need to be lucky or be willing to spend a bunch of money on bars.  You can recoup some of the money on bars you don't like by listing them on CL.

I would say, before swapping the bars, take a look at how far forward they are rolled in the clamps. Stand to the side of the bike and view the rise section of the bars (the first section outward from the center clamping area). Make sure the plane of that section of the bars is not showing them to be rolled farther forward than the plane of the fork rake. If they are, roll the bars back so their plane is even with the fork rake plane.

Test ride.

• Like 1

Personally I'm 5'11" and the CR HI's are my favorite BUT there are quite a few free adjusts you can make with the bar mounts then rotating bars forward/back (then adjusting controls as needed) and even lowering or raising the forks in the triples but play with one of these are a time and you might find something that works with the CR Hi's for you.

Otherwise, this is the best bar comparison chart I've found. I would start at say the ProTaper SE 7/8" (if that the correct diameter), then compare the CR HI's to other Heights BUT you also need to take in to consider what the Pull Back differences are.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/Handlebar-Measurements

Bend   Width  Height  Pull Back

CR HI 31.50"3.74"2.45"

CR Mid 31.50"3.23"2.36"

So the Mid is about 1/2" lower and about 1/8" less pull back which really in the bigger picture might not even be that noticeable to the average rider.

Anyway you'll have to do some research between brands etc and if you narrow it down to a couple of options, you could as specifically about them.

Hope this helps :)

Edited by filterx
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the help guys. Lots of good info. I know I had the rc bend on my last bike and it felt to low. Almost like when I was standing or jumping I would have to bend over a little to grab the bars. I may just stick with the CR HI since I'm just an average rider and most of the time it feels good.

8 minutes ago, IraqvetUSMC said:

Thanks for all the help guys. Lots of good info. I know I had the rc bend on my last bike and it felt to low. Almost like when I was standing or jumping I would have to bend over a little to grab the bars. I may just stick with the CR HI since I'm just an average rider and most of the time it feels good.

Its a very popular middle of the road bend.  You are smart to stick with it unless you have lots of money to spend on experimenting with different bends.

• Like 1

My Windham bend is higher than the CR Hi, and I have the under bar Scotts damper setup to boot. Great for standing. I agree, it feels a little odd when sitting, but I think that's just from standing so much, and then suddenly taking a seat for some reason. If I ride seated for any length of time, that odd feeling goes away.

http://renthal.com/worksfit/

Check out the link above. It lets you compare two bends overlayed on one another. I used to run the cr high bend because i didn't know better and thought they were "tall" bars when in reality they just had way too much sweep.  Switched to the 996(villopoto/stewart) bend and haven't looked back. They are a wider, straighter with less sweep and shorter.  The attributes of the 996 bend greatly helped with cornering.  FYI, I'm 6' and ride mx only. If you're tall, it doesn't necessarily mean you need a tall bend because with a tall bend you give up feel and control in the corners. 

Edited by Jdunn217

Here's the cr high bend(black) and the 996(red outline) compared. If you ride mx check it out. I found the less sweep the better. 

4B04xSB.jpg

Edited by Jdunn217
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Jdunn217 said:

http://renthal.com/worksfit/

Check out the link above. It lets you compare two bends overlayed on one another. I used to run the cr high bend because i didn't know better and thought they were "tall" bars when in reality they just had way too much sweep.  Switched to the 996(villopoto/stewart) bend and haven't looked back. They are a wider, straighter with less sweep and shorter.  The attributes of the 996 bend greatly helped with cornering.  FYI, I'm 6' and ride mx only. If you're tall, it doesn't necessarily mean you need a tall bend because with a tall bend you give up feel and control in the corners. 

I was recently looking at the Renthal Fit My Bike info which IMO was excellent but hadn't checked out the Works Fit but good tool for bar comparison :)

IMO its really hard to choose bars cus they can be about the same $$$$ as tires and I go through a LOT of tires but I've had my current Pro Tapers for 4 or 5 years.