Jump to content

Cobra 50 Sr + no experience. Need advice

Recommended Posts

Hey everybody, earlier today I got a '08 Cobra Sr. for my son (6 yrs., 52" tall, 55 lbs.). I knew they were fast and when the seller's grandson rode it a wave of fear hit me like only a father knows. I feel like I made a mistake (he hasn't ridden it yet). The carb is a 21mm, not the factory 19mm. The bike is in great shape with quite a few receipts to show the recent work done. I'm willing to buy a new 19mm tomorrow and restack the washers to get the weakest hit. Having never ridden a dirt bike before, will that be enough for him? I'd like to think he will regulate the throttle (keep himself safe) and learn. If he burns the clutch out in a week from blipping, that's fine. Please tell me what you guys think. Thanks.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel your pain. Mine started on KTM 50 when he was 8 and it scared the crap out of me. Those little bikes can rip when only 50 lbs is sitting on it. I might have started him on the jr versus the sr or at least the stock sr depending on fit. If not intending to race I'd probably go with a different bike altogether but it sounds like you already bought it so...

Enroll him in a beginner's class where he can learn from an expert in a controlled environment. He will learn more in a couple of those lessons than 100 hours on the trails developing bad habits and technique. Helmet, NECK BRACE, boots and pads are a must. My kids gear cost more than what he's riding. Hopefully someone will chime in with some technical suggestions to tune that bike down a little bit. A throttle limiter might be a good idea. Bikes are fast, welcome to the scared dad club :ride:

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, M Dunbar said:

I have no idea but i've seen videos of kiddos ripping those pretty good. 

Is that the kid who was in Nitro Circus for a while?  He was awesome but no way, not my kid at that age.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, _JC_ said:

Is that the kid who was in Nitro Circus for a while?  He was awesome but no way, not my kid at that age.

didnt say it was good idea but it was nuts haha your call!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, _JC_ said:

I feel your pain. Mine started on KTM 50 when he was 8 and it scared the crap out of me. Those little bikes can rip when only 50 lbs is sitting on it. I might have started him on the jr versus the sr or at least the stock sr depending on fit. If not intending to race I'd probably go with a different bike altogether but it sounds like you already bought it so...

Enroll him in a beginner's class where he can learn from an expert in a controlled environment. He will learn more in a couple of those lessons than 100 hours on the trails developing bad habits and technique. Helmet, NECK BRACE, boots and pads are a must. My kids gear cost more than what he's riding. Hopefully someone will chime in with some technical suggestions to tune that bike down a little bit. A throttle limiter might be a good idea. Bikes are fast, welcome to the scared dad club :ride:

 

Thanks for the comment. I'm going to call Cobra this morning and find out how much of a difference the 19mm would be. A larger back sprocket will lessen the top end. I would love find someone who has a PW50 and have him ride that for his cherry run, but lessons are in the future no matter what. As for protective gear, he may look like a Stormtrooper before I'm done. Thanks for your thoughts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tried to get my kid on the PW50...he rode it for 5 minutes and was like, "It's too slow dad." We ended up with the KTM 50 junior. I'd totally recommend that bike for a starter bike. It has a centrifugal clutch so no shifting, no stalling and the suspension is incredible with lots of travel. He rode it for a year and a half and we sold it for close to what we paid for it. Good luck and happy riding!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Red800rider said:

Larger rear sprocket will reduce top speed BUT enable it to get there faster which will be tough to get throttle control

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using ThumperTalk mobile app
 

What about a weighted/larger flywheel?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I ordered the 19mm carb from Cobra, new front sprocket (uneven wear from a slight wobble in the present one, the chain and back sprocket are new), a couple shims for the wiggle if it persists with the new one, gear stop and piston stop tools, and a fancy snap ring to finish off the front sprocket. As for the flywheel weight, in my mind they only make the engine work harder. I've never tried one for that reason. Just going to get the bike back to factory spec and pray. In the meantime, he likes to get his helmet and chest guard on and practice his balance unaided. He dropped it twice, so I'm close. In the end I'm probably overthinking all of this, but if I can employ fatherly "due diligence" I will. I'll update when I can. BTW, the bike is just plain ugly in my opinion. Stripping off the old graphics didn't help. The radiator shrouds are odd, to put it kindly. Usable, but ugly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Red800rider said:

Larger rear sprocket will reduce top speed BUT enable it to get there faster which will be tough to get throttle control

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using ThumperTalk mobile app
 

It's the 'ole half dozen of one, six of another kind of trade-off. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×