1st real test ride with the 08 CRF450R...

Just a little bit of an update I guess... I finally got a chance to get the 08 out for my first official test ride. I didn't have a chance to get all of the new parts on it (Radiators, Trail Tech 70W kit w/ weighted 13 oz. over weighted flywheel, Fan kit, different gearing/sprockets and chain, no steering damper,.. )  But I didn't want to pass up an opportunity to ride it ... so off I went.

We rode mostly tight woods stuff. Most of the trails were made by 4 wheelers which equates out to not being very free flowing, but more spastic trails, but I thought it would be a good test to see if I would be killing it every 5 seconds or what. In all honesty I thought the bike performed very well all things considered. - I forgot to mention that the original owner weighed 290 and had the bike set up for his weight and MX, well I changed the rear spring out to the factory one, but I didn't get around to doing the forks yet so the suspension was a bit out of whack.

I kept waiting for the bike to over heat as I was moving pretty slowly though the tight stuff. It was a bit cooler out this weekend so I'm sure that helped a bit.

I did kill it one time... I was coming up a 15ft hill side of which I knew there was a pond directly on the other side and only a little 4ft wide path at the top that ran around the back side of that pond. I shot up the hill in first and got to the top and started to turn to the left... I thought I was feathering the clutch pretty good but still killed it somehow and fell over to my left and slid down the hill on my chest (Just tall grass) .. got back up the hill to the bike which was puking out gas and thought "Here we go..." .. pulled the hot start in kicked it like 3 times and it fired right up. Big sigh of relief there!

Bike had great power to say the least and ran like a champ! Can't wait to get the weighted flywheel on there along with the different sprockets, suspension, and radiators w/fan kit... should be a blast!

Rick

• Like 1

yeah the FWW will help with the stalling

had an 04 450r that stalled alot until i put the FWW in and also thru a JD jetting kit in as well

it boiled sometimes as well in the slow going tight terrain - thru a higher psi rad cap on and stopped that

Glad it was cooler out where you live.  It was hot as $%&t in Jacksonville, FL at the USGP. Great weekend but stifling hot!

Anyway, glad you got to go riding and to hear you have some great upgrades in the works.  Wouldn't hurt to put a CV4 2.0 cap on that sweet ride if you're gonna be doing a lot of tight trails.

Cheers. :ride:

Yeah it was a good time,.. it was actually like low 60's Sat morning, then got up in the 80's in the afternoon.

Radiator Cap - I'm not a big fan of running higher pressure caps - My thought is that you're actually running the engine at a higher operating temp than what is desired. My work-around is Over sized radiators and a cooling fan. I should be able to run the factory cap with this set up,.. if not I may bump up to a 1.4.

I know a lot of guys are running 1.6 or above caps without any issues,.. but still, I'm going to error on the side of caution :D

Edited by WERNER1

i run a motion pro over flow bottle in my air box to catch all that coolant, and get it back in the bike, rocky mnt sells them for like $20, and it has been awesome

2 hours ago, WERNER1 said:

Yeah it was a good time,.. it was actually like low 60's Sat morning, then got up in the 80's in the afternoon.

Radiator Cap - I'm not a big fan of running higher pressure caps - My thought is that you're actually running the engine at a higher operating temp than what is desired. My work-around is Over sized radiators and a cooling fan. I should be able to run the factory cap with this set up,.. if not I may bump up to a 1.4.

I know a lot of guys are running 1.6 or above caps without any issues,.. but still, I'm going to error on the side of caution :D

The cap doesn't make it run hotter, it just allows it to if the conditions cause it, without boiling over.  The engine is going to run at whatever temperature it's gonna run regardless of the cap bar (to an extent). The conditions dictate how hot it gets.  That radiator catch bottle is a good/cheap idea as well.

I'll be running a 2.0 just for insurance, not because I think the 1.1 won't do.

Yeah I hear ya! I like the idea of an overflow tank,... but I can't put one in my air box as I have to stuff the battery for the 70W Trail Tech kit in there... I thought I read where they had one stuffed under the motor like on the skid plate or something... I'll have to research that one..

35 minutes ago, WERNER1 said:

Yeah I hear ya! I like the idea of an overflow tank,... but I can't put one in my air box as I have to stuff the battery for the 70W Trail Tech kit in there... I thought I read where they had one stuffed under the motor like on the skid plate or something... I'll have to research that one..

I think that was the tank from a 450x that fits down in the skid plate

Yeah that sounds about right,.. I have a Works Connection Skid plate so I may try and go that route.

I don't have radiator braces (YET),.. but that would be another good option.