Going from a 250f to a 250 2 stroke is a big leap. You sure your ready for that power jump?

but hands down yz250 is the best 250 2 stroke for the money. Reliable and a good bike for the woods. 

• Like 3

+1 on the YZ250. If you're looking to buy new, go with the YZ250X. Comes factory with the main mods that we all do to our YZs to make them woods compliant. The only downside with the X, or the YZ, or any 2 stroke MX bike in the woods, no e-start. Not a big deal if you're on more open trails, but I've cussed the lack of the button many times here in the rocky, rooty, off camber awkward, tight woods of S.W. MO. Just not cussed it enough to feel good about upping $9k for an Orange button.. :smirk:

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, hondarider731.cs said:

I'd like to have a mild mannered 2stroke if they exist

Sent from my SM-G935V using ThumperTalk mobile app

Yz250 with a 13oz flywheel weight properly jetted to your riding style. Powerful tractor that just grabs and goes. Sounds exactly like what your looking for. Oh and to not having an electric start, if it's setup for your height properly, and your not a whimp, kicking it shouldn't be a problem no mater the situation long as your smart at using your brakes at the same time!

12 minutes ago, ryan_cin said:

I like the cr125/250

I disagree. No bottom end power and only a screamer. Terrible woods bike. Mild power at best too and constant plug foul issues. Good track bike but for the woods I'd prefer something more reliable that won't let you down in critical areas. 

51 minutes ago, hondarider731.cs said:

What about kx or rm ?

I ride a built rm250 and it's so finicky that she and I don't get along sometimes. Yz250 is the best just trust me on that. 

On 9/5/2017 at 7:31 PM, hondarider731.cs said:

What about kx or rm ?

I've had five KX250s. Summary:

96: great motor, lugs good, good low end, needs flywheel weight for stall prevention, still have the bike!

99: super tall first gear. I used 12/50 gearing and it was still too tall for super super VERY slow riding. Once you got past 5 MPH then the bike was great because it had tons of low end power. 

03: I'm 6'2" and find the 03+ models on the small side. Motor OK for woods riding. Pipe to not have on this bike for wood riding: Pro Circuit platinum. 

04: Incredible torque. Feels like a strong KTM 300 right off idle. 

06: Motor changed in 05 to heavy hit upper mid top end focused. Not a good woods motor. 

Had two RM250s. Last one I had was an 01. It liked to eat cylinder head gaskets which made it drink coolant and stop running usually 3 hours into a trail ride. The groove for the O-ring on the cylinder was jagged and rough which contributed. I just avoid them now due to this. 

On 9/5/2017 at 7:52 AM, Brad04 said:

I disagree. No bottom end power and only a screamer. Terrible woods bike. Mild power at best too and constant plug foul issues. Good track bike but for the woods I'd prefer something more reliable that won't let you down in critical areas. 

The 2002+ CR250 are not known to have notable low end power but the 02-04 motors are electric like in power delivery which some may call mild mannered. The handling on this bike is extremely good. 

• Like 1

On 9/5/2017 at 6:51 AM, Brad04 said:

but hands down yz250 is the best 250 2 stroke for the money. Reliable and a good bike for the woods. 

I have owned the 03/04/07 models of this bike. Kicker broke off twice at the shaft and there's numerous reports of transmission failure on bikes that have 200+ hours on them. I don't agree that they're reliable compared to others. 

Edited by shrubitup
  • Like 2

Slight thread hijack. Has Yamaha updated the YZ frame since offering it in 2005? The reason I ask, is my '07 frame felt too stiff for rocky single track.

To the OP, there are some other purpose built woods 250s like Beta, Gas Gas and Sherco.

5 minutes ago, DaveCR said:

Slight thread hijack. Has Yamaha updated the YZ frame since offering it in 2005? The reason I ask, is my '07 frame felt too stiff for rocky single track.

To the OP, there are some other purpose built woods 250s like Beta, Gas Gas and Sherco.

No changes since 2005. Note that the 2005, while being aluminum, still uses geometry developed for the 1999 frame. Should also point out that the GasGas can typically be acquired for around the same price as the Japanese bikes. 

I've ridden the 17 Beta 250RR and the 17 KTM 250XCW. The Beta is very nice compared to the KTM. If I were to buy any newer woods smoker it would be the Beta.