One way starter clutch removal?

Hello,

I am planning to make my SM a bit more track oriented. First step is to convert it to kick only. But what is more important I want to remove the starter clutch assembly completely. Have anybody tried to "partly disassemble" a flywheel, remove a bigger starter clutch gear, and put it back together? (I know there are 2 oil ports I need to cover). Did it work? I am concerned with part on a left here http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detail/suzuki/SP-12600-29810.html 

thanks

Hello, I am planning to make my SM a bit more track oriented. First step is to convert it to kick only. But what is more important I want to remove the starter clutch assembly completely. Have anybody tried to "partly disassemble" a flywheel, remove a bigger starter clutch gear, and put it back together? (I know there are 2 oil ports I need to cover). Did it work? I am concerned with part on a left here http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detail/suzuki/SP-12600-29810.html 

thanks

I admire what you're trying to accomplish but it's a bit fool hearted.

There is a lot more fat on the table before worrying about the starter. Even then, you will be adding weight back in with the kicker starter gears, lever. You'll need to machine the head for a manual de-compression release as there are no auto de-compression cams worthy of such a machine.

In the end, you'll still have a relatively heavy bike. The kick only DRZ was nearly 270 lbs fueled up ready to ride. Compared that to a new KTM SX-F450 which weighs 230 lbs and has nearly 60 hp from the dealer floor. The DRZ is bullet proof mostly because the engine internals haven't been shrunken or shaved down within an inch of their lives to save weight, as all of the 4 stroke mx bikes have.

Keep us posted with the final results.

Sent from my XT1650 using ThumperTalk mobile app

• Like 2

Yeah... the DRZ is a heavy bike, trying to shave a few pounds off it to make it a track bike is not wise. You'd be better off to start with a bike designed for racing. The DRZ is a dead relaible Dual sport/SuperMoto want to be. Fairly competitive in the right hands but then again, the right hands start of with the right bike.

I've heavily modified my SM. Not to win races but for the fun of modifications. I picked it because it was dead reliable and being fat really did not matter. Five seconds faster to get a fresh baked cupcake does not matter a whole lot.

• Like 1

Removing the starter clutch is easy.  Just remove the flywheel, un-bolt the starter clutch and reinstall the flywheel.  I am not aware of any oil ports in the crankshaft that need to be covered.  If there are, just make a ring to cover them.

• Like 1