DRZ suspension for new rider?

Hello. I've ridden ATVs and I have some limited prior experience on dirt bikes (100 mile total probably) but I would be considered a novice rider.  I purchased a 2003 DRZ400S a few weeks ago.  I like the bike and I have been riding it off road mostly.   I hear a lot of people talking about upgrading their suspension even on brand new KTMs.  I feel a bit lost.   My suspension feels fine to me but I may just not know any better.  

I assume my suspension is stock.  I am 6'1" and about 200 lbs even - probably 210 with my gear on.   Is a suspension upgrade be something I should be looking into? 

Edited by Father Emmett

53 minutes ago, Father Emmett said:

Hello. I've ridden ATVs and I have some limited prior experience on dirt bikes (100 mile total probably) but I would be considered a novice rider.  I purchased a 2003 DRZ400S a few weeks ago.  I like the bike and I have been riding it off road mostly.   I hear a lot of people talking about upgrading their suspension even on brand new KTMs.  I feel a bit lost.   My suspension feels fine to me but I may just not know any better.  

I assume my suspension is stock.  I am 6'1" and about 200 lbs even - probably 210 with my gear on.   Is a suspension upgrade be something I should be looking into? 

Not if what you have is working for you.

When making changes to the suspension you want to customize it (not necessarily upgrade) for you, taking into account you're weight, ability, where you ride and even how you ride. If your current setup works for you than just continue riding. But if you start outgrowing it look into making some changes. 

• Like 1

Lots of good reading here...................

http://www.shimrestackor.com/index.htm

After developing some confidence in the setup your riding skills evolve and that generic setup needs re-tuning. Suspensions can't be setup once-and-for-all, you can see that trackside at any national level race with teams frantically searching for a useable setup.

One of the hardest aspects of suspension tuning, a skill professional tuners spend years developing, is the capability to guess the combination of shim stack changes needed to achieve a specific effect.