NEGbrap

First Ride on 2018 Beta 300rr

Also use to run the VE33 solely and really liked that tire.  Switched to the M5B the last few tire changes but and thinking of going back to the VE33 for the wet rooty winter here in PNW.  Also contemplating the Shinko Cheater.  NEGbrap what size VE33 did you get?  I ran the 110's on my old 250F's but am thinking of going to 5.10 and tubliss this time for the 250RR.. Let me know what you think of the tire and what tire pressure you land on with the tubliss and it.

6 hours ago, NW_drZ said:

Also use to run the VE33 solely and really liked that tire.  Switched to the M5B the last few tire changes but and thinking of going back to the VE33 for the wet rooty winter here in PNW.  Also contemplating the Shinko Cheater.  NEGbrap what size VE33 did you get?  I ran the 110's on my old 250F's but am thinking of going to 5.10 and tubliss this time for the 250RR.. Let me know what you think of the tire and what tire pressure you land on with the tubliss and it.

I got a 110. I want to try the new shinko 525 cheater, as I feel the 505 knobs are TOO close together for the rooty stuffy I ride. I think the 525 more open pattern will allow the knobs to grip around the roots better. But ive heard nothing but good things about the VE33, its similar to the MT16 I usually run, but I run the 120's.

I got a 110. I want to try the new shinko 525 cheater, as I feel the 505 knobs are TOO close together for the rooty stuffy I ride. I think the 525 more open pattern will allow the knobs to grip around the roots better. But ive heard nothing but good things about the VE33, its similar to the MT16 I usually run, but I run the 120's.

I've run 110 size 505s since they came out. Also have a 110 size 525 on another wheel. The 525 is strange feeling in rocks, has an odd deflection/bounce/squirm I suspect is from the soft large lugs and wide spacing. The 505 is very stable and excellent in rocks and roots, wet or dry. Only in deeper mud does it naturally lack a bit due to the tighter pattern. Even so run Tubliss @ 5 PSI it cleans well and if there is a hard bottom there is no issue. This is a gummy tire, much more sticky than a VE33.

I've run 110 size 505s since they came out. Also have a 110 size 525 on another wheel. The 525 is strange feeling in rocks, has an odd deflection/bounce/squirm I suspect is from the soft large lugs and wide spacing. The 505 is very stable and excellent in rocks and roots, wet or dry. Only in deeper mud does it naturally lack a bit due to the tighter pattern. Even so run Tubliss @ 5 PSI it cleans well and if there is a hard bottom there is no issue. This is a gummy tire, much more sticky than a VE33.

Have you ran / felt the VE33? It's got very gummy knobs considering it's been around forever. Not to say it's as "soft" as the modern gummies, but the knobs / compound is definitely on the soft side. The carcass is also soft and flattens out easily. This is with almost no effort.

IMG_7090.thumb.PNG.c2e3f926cda1cddbda5f920b6c962811.PNG

First make sure alignment is correct, use the Motion Pro tool. Second, not sure about the newer Sachs but the ones I had apart have a massive amount of preload on the springs. Last, that fork is not and never will be in the same league as the fork on the YZX.

Not and never will be in the same league as the YZX?? Bullshit on that. Really? Have you done a sided by side comparison? Beta vs YZX? I guess you can feel how ever you want. I've ridden a new KX 450 a 2015 in 2015. The forks sucked so bad it was crazy. That's why Jap bikes suck now, u buy a bike and before you ride it u gotta pay to get it to work right. I've ridden 17' KTM 350 and a 17' KTM 250xc two stroke. My stock Beta suspension was better. I've said this before, the KTM 250 XC turned quicker than my beta. But everything else, the beta was better. I haven't tested against a YZX but I find it hard to believe the YZX suspension is better than my CC Sachs forks.

Not and never will be in the same league as the YZX?? Bullshit on that. Really? Have you done a sided by side comparison? Beta vs YZX? I guess you can feel how ever you want. I've ridden a new KX 450 a 2015 in 2015. The forks sucked so bad it was crazy. That's why Jap bikes suck now, u buy a bike and before you ride it u gotta pay to get it to work right. I've ridden 17' KTM 350 and a 17' KTM 250xc two stroke. My stock Beta suspension was better. I've said this before, the KTM 250 XC turned quicker than my beta. But everything else, the beta was better. I haven't tested against a YZX but I find it hard to believe the YZX suspension is better than my CC Sachs forks.
I'm a newb who's never owned anything brand new but are the euro bikes really that much different? I've been doing lots of research on the 150xcw and it seems like the jetting is terrible/almost impossible to dial in so many are upgrading the head/carb/reeds right off the bat. Not trying to start anything, just genuinely curious as my next bike(a few years away still) will probably be brand new and I'm wondering what to expect.
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Albertasledder said:
7 hours ago, Unstoppable120s said:

I'm a newb who's never owned anything brand new but are the euro bikes really that much different? I've been doing lots of research on the 150xcw and it seems like the jetting is terrible/almost impossible to dial in so many are upgrading the head/carb/reeds right off the bat. Not trying to start anything, just genuinely curious as my next bike(a few years away still) will probably be brand new and I'm wondering what to expect.

Every bike and model has their differences and it’s not so broad as “ European “. You realize that can mean talking about an Italian, Spanish,Austrian and French and Portuguese bike. You’ll have to read and hopefully you can ride whatever brand and model and year bike you are interested in as time goes on.  Read up on tests. Reviews from a variety of sources and don’t take any so seriously. The reviews may be very much off and wrong. Still it’s good to read to learn what you can. Try to learn from local sources too. Read up in dirtbiketests with Jimmy Lewis. Later some will figure out jetting and mods to make bikes work right. It may not be so bad to figure out how to get certain bikes to work right. You also may not need to buy a brand new bike. Maybe a year old bike that someone is selling with lots of mods and all issues may be worked out and be half the price new. Good luck and keep reading and learning. Do yourself a favor and borrow this from the library or just buy it. It’s going to give you insight on what’s going on with dirtbikes. It’s written by Eric gore and is part of the motorbooks workshop series of books. 

Motocross & Offroad performance handbook. is the name. Don’t forget it. Borrow and buy and read. It’s perfect for you to learn. I still learn from it and I’ve read it a bunch of times. I use it as a reference too.

5E56EFCA-2CEB-43CF-B7B2-F736C846FC6E.jpeg

Edited by hawaiidirtrider
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Unstoppable120s said:

Well, I call bullshit on your reading comprehension.  The OP has a standard RR with OC Sachs, which I have ridden and been into a few times.  Stock means nothing, valving is just an adjustment, its how the fork responds to tuning that matters and how it holds up.  The KYB SSS is a proven platform.  If (when?) your Sachs wear out you might be looking for a pair.  Keep watching your oil for what was once the anodizing on your upper tubes.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, NW_drZ said:

Have you ran / felt the VE33? It's got very gummy knobs considering it's been around forever. Not to say it's as "soft" as the modern gummies, but the knobs / compound is definitely on the soft side. The carcass is also soft and flattens out easily. This is with almost no effort.

IMG_7090.thumb.PNG.c2e3f926cda1cddbda5f920b6c962811.PNG

Yes, its a lot like a Pirelli MT16.  On the soft side for a conventional knobby and works well.  Problem is its $$ for the life I get in the rocks here.  The Shinko 505 Cheater is just much more cost effective along with its better grip and durable carcass for the type of riding we do here. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Unstoppable120s said:

I have. I own both. I will report back when I've ridden the Beta enough to compare. I did have binding in my Sachs forks as described in my original post which made them very unpleasant over trail trash.

Pic for validation of ownership :) Also a pic of my dog dressed as a babushka, because its hilarious.

IMG_2037[1].JPG

IMG_2197[1].JPG

• Like 5

58 minutes ago, Montana Norm said:

What’s up with beta saying they shaved 10 lbs but specs say it is really close to the 17 in weight????

Previous years, 17 included, were measured dry without fluids, no oil, coolant, fork oil etc etc.  The 18's weight is ready to ride minus gas. 

15 hours ago, Montana Norm said:

Any one riding 6-10 k ft with the oi? Is it working good?

Elevation has no effect on oi function.

• Like 1

I saw New Hampshire and got excited, the read Hop-Ev and got even more excited! Love those trails although the roots can get brutal on the single track loops and the two track can get destroyed by quads. I’m part of MVTR who maintains the trails but haven’t made it out it any work parties. I’ll try to find a picture from BT loop that has some nasty root climbs!

IMG_3316.jpg

Photo from one of the single track loops at Clough/Hop-Ev

• Like 2

5 hours ago, YZJoeYZ said:

I saw New Hampshire and got excited, the read Hop-Ev and got even more excited! Love those trails although the roots can get brutal on the single track loops and the two track can get destroyed by quads. I’m part of MVTR who maintains the trails but haven’t made it out it any work parties. I’ll try to find a picture from BT loop that has some nasty root climbs!

IMG_3316.jpg

Photo from one of the single track loops at Clough/Hop-Ev

Yea thats basically 80% of my riding. May split 50/50 next season as my friend introduced me to a friend who has some private single track that is a riot. I also want to find something similar to Jdays/Spring Enduros so I can practice for my first race season. Right now we bang out both loops sub 30 minutes each. Not sure how fast on each as I havent timed it in a while.

Loving the Beta so far, except she is all tucked away for winter.

• Like 1

Yea thats basically 80% of my riding. May split 50/50 next season as my friend introduced me to a friend who has some private single track that is a riot. I also want to find something similar to Jdays/Spring Enduros so I can practice for my first race season. Right now we bang out both loops sub 30 minutes each. Not sure how fast on each as I havent timed it in a while.

Loving the Beta so far, except she is all tucked away for winter.

30 minutes is impressive. Never done a clean, continuous run as it always seems I’m putting down the kickstand at the top of the hill to go help my buddies! If I see you at hop ev next year I’ll come say hey, that bike is pretty sweet looking and defiantly not a common one!

Did you buy from Naults in Manchester or from Dave Dussault? Only two beta dealers I know of

Elevation has no effect on oi function.

Well injection rate doesn’t adjust with leaner jetting I was wondering if there is a lot of spoooge with leaner jets

On 12/12/2017 at 10:12 PM, YZJoeYZ said:

30 minutes is impressive. Never done a clean, continuous run as it always seems I’m putting down the kickstand at the top of the hill to go help my buddies! If I see you at hop ev next year I’ll come say hey, that bike is pretty sweet looking and defiantly not a common one!

Did you buy from Naults in Manchester or from Dave Dussault? Only two beta dealers I know of

Naults. They were helpful, but man their parts prices are way out of wack. I ordered tires, then found out they charged me double what online retailers were charing. Tried to have a convo about "I want to give local business's my money" but the parts manager wouldnt budge. Even with buying a new bike.