2017/18 500EXC.... why so damn fugly?!?

I went down to the dealership to check out a new 500EXC-F the other day since I'll be picking up a new 500 soon and the first thing that slapped me in the face was WTF happened to the rear end of these bikes???  Hell... the Husky 500 looks even worse!  Tail light is twice the size of the previous generation... sticks out past the fender... and is generally looks like a bag of stomped &%$#@!. 

Is there a delete on the market for these?  I noticed the KTM site shows the EXC-F with a rear light setup reminiscent of the last gen XC-W line.  Is that a euro/aus option that could be ordered and swapped on?

Plus note: the rest of the bike is sexy as hell. 

• Like 1

Kinda missed the rear plate in the last pic. 

So here is a 17' & 18' one with the xcw rear taillight and plate holder. The other one has a ebay integrated turn signal taillight Assy. 

It was a pain to put the turn signals on. There really is no room. Next time I would just get the ebay one. 

IMG_4268.JPG

• Like 1

I found this video about 2017 stalling , in the dealer for 3 weeks.  At first , thought was fuel pump, but then the motor wouldnt even turn over, so that ruled that out. Then he can bounce the rear wheel and bike will fire up. Either a bad connection, or the lithium battery imo.      Not sure if he's a member, but brave that he testing his luck as far as a longer PUSH. Also no jumping and lost his plate.

Edited by Spud786

20 minutes ago, Airboss/oc said:

is the tank vent clogged

Poor guy, bike in the shop for 3 weeks and then his ride ruined again, and I luv his words at the very end , cracks me up!

As far as the tank vent, the motor seems to lose electrical, wont even crank, till he bounces the bike.

11 hours ago, Spud786 said:

Poor guy, bike in the shop for 3 weeks and then his ride ruined again, and I luv his words at the very end , cracks me up!

As far as the tank vent, the motor seems to lose electrical, wont even crank, till he bounces the bike.

Its too bad KTM told him the repair wont be covered under warranty.

got the bike back from the dealer after 3 weeks. The diagnosis: partially melted evaporative canister which resulted in signals being sent to the ECU indicating that the engine was flooded resulting in the ignition stopping. It seems to make sense, I guess. Well, I took the bike out to Metcalf today. First 30 minutes were fine. And then the issue came back. Same symptoms. Same temporary "fix" - bump/shake the bike. Oddly, this time when I bump it causing the fuel pump to prime it doesn't necessarily start immediately

I talked with a rep at KTM who said that I can take it to any dealer. It won't be covered under warranty regardless of where I take it despite the claim being opened before expiration. However, it _probably_ would be covered under a "goodwill" clause.

• Like 1

IMG_4375.thumb.JPG.a26fe59ef1967f9c538dfeab80044d53.JPG

IMG_4374.thumb.JPG.64020df1eda86d9e230ab36a9bf6862f.JPG

I was a non believer at first.  Mine broke and I didn't take any jumps.  

I'm currently retrofitting my bike with the 2017 300 XCW rear tailight/license plate holder assembly with sickass turn signals.  I'll post pictures when I'm done.  Ugh, it's like a puzzle taking apart the rear fender, side panels, and muffler to get enough room to slide the rear tailight connector through the bodywork!  Pretty neat design though.  Looks like I'll mount the sickass turn signals on the rear fender by the grab handles as there isn't too much room to mount them on the license plate holder.  I think Chaparral kit mounts the turn signals there also. 

One thing I did notice taking my bike apart is there is a boss on the seat pan that can crush the ground strap between the battery and the frame.  My ground strap was pinched there and showed some discoloration and corrosion where the tinting had worn off.  This might cause a flaky ground connection if went on like this for too long.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, LTJ said:

One thing I did notice taking my bike apart is there is a boss on the seat pan that can crush the ground strap between the battery and the frame.  My ground strap was pinched there and showed some discoloration and corrosion where the tinting had worn off.  This might cause a flaky ground connection if went on like this for too long.

Mine was smashed too.  the braided line was starting to separate under 15 hours.  

This makes me absolutely love my '12 500 EXC.  Think I'll go out and give it a good bath and change the oil! I'd be really pissed if a new bike treated me like that. I feel his pain. Almost has to be electrical I'd think. :(

On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 8:32 PM, Spud786 said:

I found this video about 2017 stalling , in the dealer for 3 weeks.  At first , thought was fuel pump, but then the motor wouldnt even turn over, so that ruled that out. Then he can bounce the rear wheel and bike will fire up. Either a bad connection, or the lithium battery imo.      Not sure if he's a member, but brave that he testing his luck as far as a longer PUSH. Also no jumping and lost his plate.

Looks like he got his bike fixed , it was the frame negative battery cable connection.  So all fixed up, He burns his butt on the next ride.

Speaking if being A$$ deep in motorcycle  , a few weeks back when all the rain from the Hurricanes came though, its hard to keep the growth on the trails in check. I got tangled in some large tall bamboo type shrubbery, and must have caught a rad wing, spun me around and pulled me down. I was on a side of the hill, and it was a Btch to try to get the bike, repositioned.  So Im struggling to lift the rear end of the bike, standing on this knocked down shrubbery, and my feet Slide right out from under me, and now Im waste deep under the motorcycle. Oh what A BTCH!!!     I could knot get my body out, pulled so hard my knees were popping loose.  Finally I got out from under, my blood pressure was throbbing in my neck and panting like a DOG.  Have not be back though that area till it freezes and all that vegetation dies out for the winter.

Not sure I would swap that for a Burned butt, or not, how bout you?

Lmao. That is funny shit. I wouldn't of loaded it to you tube. 

• Like 2