what sprocket size should I get?

I have a 2009 kx250f that has phenomenal power in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. But in 4th and 5th, it seems to not notably increase power very much. I know for sure that the bike is going into 4th and 5th. A friend suggested that my rear sprocket was too small. I am currently running a 13 in the front and a 48 in the rear. Would a different sprocket increase my higher gears power? If so, what size sprocket should I get? If a new sprocket wouldn't make any difference, what should I do?  We mostly climb hills and mess around. No racing but it would still be nice to have that 4th and 5th gear speed and power.

Edited by Jay Graham

9 minutes ago, Jay Graham said:

I have a 2009 kx250f that has phenomenal power in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. But in 4th and 5th, it seems to not notably increase power very much. I know for sure that the bike is going into 4th and 5th. A friend suggested that my rear sprocket was too small. I am currently running a 13 in the front and a 48 in the rear. Would a different sprocket increase my higher gears power? If so, what size sprocket should I get? If a new sprocket wouldn't make any difference, what should I do?  We mostly climb hills and mess around. No racing but it would still be nice to have that 4th and 5th gear speed and power.

Try 13-50 :thumbsup: bet you'll like better 

Are you looking for:

A. lower speed overall, tighter gearing spread, short shifting? ... smaller front sprocket or/and larger rear sprocket

B. higher speed, wider gearing spread, longer torque roll between gears? .... larger front sprocket and/or smaller rear sprocket.

Your description isn't really clear on which scenario you are after. It sounds like you may be maxing out with the gearing you currently have, and would appreciate a wider gearing. Perhaps try (B) a smaller rear sprocket. This will give you more use out of first, second, and third bands and you will actually feel a difference between fourth and fifth.