Jump to content

1993 DR250 any good?

Recommended Posts

Nice bikes - I ran one for a year while my 350 was having some down-time.

 

No where near as much low end power though, and geared lower to suit , so more revs on the road. 60mph no problem anyway.

 

Don'y pay too much as they are not as popular as the 350 - same weight less power. No problems I'm aware of, you just need to be confident that the oil has been changed regularly and not allowed to run down to nothing!  No smoke or rattles is generally a good sign....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, thedktor said:

Nice bikes - I ran one for a year while my 350 was having some down-time.

 

No where near as much low end power though, and geared lower to suit , so more revs on the road. 60mph no problem anyway.

 

Don'y pay too much as they are not as popular as the 350 - same weight less power. No problems I'm aware of, you just need to be confident that the oil has been changed regularly and not allowed to run down to nothing!  No smoke or rattles is generally a good sign....

Paying 900

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, thedktor said:

Nice bikes - I ran one for a year while my 350 was having some down-time.

 

No where near as much low end power though, and geared lower to suit , so more revs on the road. 60mph no problem anyway.

 

Don'y pay too much as they are not as popular as the 350 - same weight less power. No problems I'm aware of, you just need to be confident that the oil has been changed regularly and not allowed to run down to nothing!  No smoke or rattles is generally a good sign....

How's the xt350 compared to the dr250

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

XT350 I have owned, some years back now. Brilliant bikes, much better on the road than a 250.

 

But.... kick start only and most are quite old now, unless you have your eyes on a late model?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

'89 I believe. It Does need some stuff for it to be street legal like that back lights. But everything else it has I think. I'm going tomorrow to possibly pick up the dr250 with electric start. So I'm just trying to get some other people input about these 2 bikes. Both I can get for 900 a bike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, thedktor said:

XT350 I have owned, some years back now. Brilliant bikes, much better on the road than a 250.

 

But.... kick start only and most are quite old now, unless you have your eyes on a late model?

'89 I believe. It Does need some stuff for it to be street legal like that back lights. But everything else it has I think. I'm going tomorrow to possibly pick up the dr250 with electric start. So I'm just trying to get some other people input about these 2 bikes. Both I can get for 900 a bike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I don't know what your mechanical or motorcycling experience is but the DR250 will be newer, electric start, and presumably ready to ride. ie less hassle.

 

Ride it, see how you like it and get a feel for what you want out of a bike.  You won't regret buying a DR250, but you might decide after 6 months you want a bigger engine for the road, or maybe a more focused off-road bike for tracks, or a car, or a truck or a boat or....  ;)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, thedktor said:

Well, I don't know what your mechanical or motorcycling experience is but the DR250 will be newer, electric start, and presumably ready to ride. ie less hassle.

 

Ride it, see how you like it and get a feel for what you want out of a bike.  You won't regret buying a DR250, but you might decide after 6 months you want a bigger engine for the road, or maybe a more focused off-road bike for tracks, or a car, or a truck or a boat or....  ;)

 

What is everthing that I should check on the bike. Is 900 a good price ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just bought the dr250 hauling it back home as I type this. Test rode it and everything ran great and enough power for me right now. Only thing that is say was wrong was when he started it it would cough then die after he pushed the choke back in maybe he didn't wait long enough to warm it up? Got him down to 800 so saved be 100. Only 5k miles

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×