2 Stroke Muffler on a 4T?

I have a spare unused turbine core muffler for my 250 KTM 2T that I am not using. If I can cut, weld, modify, etc to get this muffler on my 230....will it work? I am not sure of differences in muffler technology between 2T and 4T, orvifvtherevare any. I was thinking of keeping the EO header and ditching the super loud super crap megaphone muffler for this Q4 muffler. If I can get it to fit, will it Work?

I did some research and evidently I am not the first to ask this question. The main difference is in the packing, with a 4T muffler using more heat tolerant packing material. Also note that the turbine core I have is new and unused so no residual oil to catch fire. The inlet pipe on the turbine core matches the EO header fairly good so there is no restriction noted. Funny that I paid about $150 for this spark arrested muffler for my KTM, but the same muffler for the 230 is about $300, and that is without the header. I guess I am trying to be savvy and creative, but I don't want to spend extra money if I don't need to. My only complaint with the EO system is the extreme loudness, it actually works pretty well. Any Thoughts?

Edited by jeffrow68
Added words

36 minutes ago, jeffrow68 said:

I have a spare unused turbine core muffler for my 250 KTM 2T that I am not using. If I can cut, weld, modify, etc to get this muffler on my 230....will it work? I am not sure of differences in muffler technology between 2T and 4T, orvifvtherevare any. I was thinking of keeping the EO header and ditching the super loud super crap megaphone muffler for this Q4 muffler. If I can get it to fit, will it Work?

LOL, Your going to turn that bike from a gripper into a ripper. 

• Like 2

Yes you can....

As long as the inside diameter is correct, the silencing section is mostly a glasspack silencer in either case...

If you use the setup you are thinking about making... Your torque will likely come in earlier and hit harder... But without the megaphone, you won't pull as high and far out on top end...

All depends on how your use your powerband... Midrange thumper or top end and overrev

Edited by mixxer

Entire pro circuit 230 exhaust... Brand New... Headpipe included... And what a headpipe it is, btw 😎

$250 on eBay

Just for reference

So of all the exhaust systems out there for the 230, what would be the best recommendation for a well performing system that is not too loud? I thought the EO system was the ticket, but I just can't tolerate the noise.

There is the pro circuit system for $250; the yoshimuria system for about $350; the FMF power bomb header for $150 with matching muffler for another$300.

I would really like to slap another muffler on the EO header and be done with it...just not too sure I want to cut up a brand new FMF Turbine core and screw up the dynamics.

Edited by jeffrow68

You could sell the EO system and purchase a Pro circuit. I like mine but the EO header with a Different silencer would work good. PC is the least expensive quality system out there IMO. I have nothing to compare with mine but my bike makes a surprising amount of power for a 223😁 with one. Seat of the pants of course 🍺

• Like 2

For hard hitting response and midrange power, the double size step of the pro circuit stepped headpipe is the one for me...

It will pull harder top end than a design that doesn't step 2 sizes at the first junction... No question..

Stainless.... Spark Arrested.... Deep non abrasive thumper tone... Best price...

Rarely do you get all the plusses in one setup...

• Like 2

In all honesty...

If someone told me I won the free pipe sweepstakes and could have picked any available exhaust for my 230 for free...

With my goals of midRAGE thumper power... And hating obnoxious barking exhaust tones like I always have...

I still would have chosen pro circuit for all of it's design qualities ....

I didn't pick it on price... I picked it on my performance wish list... The pricing was just icing on the cake...

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, VortecCPI said:

I believe the Yosh system has a series of steps.  Sort of a pseudo-meg I guess...

At one time Yoshi was actually making a tapered Meg section from the headpipe junction to the silencer body ...  Maybe it slowed production or something... Or maybe people didn't recognize it for what it was and sales didn't benefit from it...

But for whatever reason, they stopped doing it...

The pro circuit pipe has 2 steps to it , for a total jump of 3 pipe sizes during it's length.... The first step of the headpipe is swaged at the junction for a double pipe size step initially...then steps up again at the junction to the tail sections...

I have not personally seen the yoshi pipes multi steps since they dropped the megaphone tail section a long time back...  

44 minutes ago, arthur6 said:

Using a two stroke muffler on a four stroke will give it WAY more power.
I don't know why more people don't do this.

Sent from my SM-T350 using ThumperTalk mobile app

You are WAY off on this one Arthur..

The silencing sections are largely the same... No power advantage or disadvantage either way....

The power producing part of a 2 stroke exhaust, the expansion chamber, while massively power enhancing on a 2stroke... Is not at all compatible with a 4stroke.... Not....at....all...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, arthur6 said:

Using a two stroke muffler on a four stroke will give it WAY more power.
I don't know why more people don't do this.

Sent from my SM-T350 using ThumperTalk mobile app

Yes, but only if you mix N2O with the gas. ⛽️ 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, mixxer said:

At one time Yoshi was actually making a tapered Meg section from the headpipe junction to the silencer body ...  Maybe it slowed production or something... Or maybe people didn't recognize it for what it was and sales didn't benefit from it...

But for whatever reason, they stopped doing it...

According to Frank Nye and fabricators I have spoken with the meg is VERY difficult to fabricate.  A series of steps is far easier to deal with, though it adds more welds.

The original round BBR systems also had a sort of meg section before the muffler.

19.jpg

14.jpg

You know what is strange to me...

Is that companies like fmf and pro circuit make 2 stroke exhaust systems for every 2 stroke imaginable... And those are cone/ meg setups that snake around all sorts of engine and frame work.. with a lot of welding .. .. All in the $300 range...  Seems like they would have no problem at all making a divergent meg section for the 4 strokes...

Yet the 4 stroke systems are much simpler ... Bent and welded tubing with a glasspack silencer on the end... And they charge a lot more $$$ for them...

None of that makes sense

• Like 2

They probably sell a lot more 2T pipes because they're so vulnerable to getting smashed. It's kinda rare to find a used 2T with the original pipe.

• Like 3