2004 250 EXC Shifter Shaft Replacement

I am having some issues finding a write up for replacing shifter shaft on my 2004 250 EXC.  I just recently purchased this bike and had it out for the second time when my shifter completly stripped out.  I was able to tap it back on and use red loctite to hold in for the rest of the trip but it stripped out again on the last day.  The shifter I was using was from Moose racing.  The shifter shaft splines are not completely stripped but its tough to say if they are in good enough shape to not replace.   

Anybody done this before?  How much work involved and is there any videos showing the process? 

If it is a PITA I will just tap some sort of pin in it and JB weld it or something.

It is a real easy job with no knowledge of engines required - the only special tool you need is a clutch holder as you need to remove the basket - you may well have one already.  It is worth replacing the seal at the gear lever end as it is very easy with the shaft out and you will need a clutch cover gasket as well, although both these things are v cheap. You have to remove the right hand power valve cover to unclip the arm from its ball and socket (don't lose the wire clip!!!) but shouldn't need a new gasket as they are very thick. We rub this gasket with Loctite 5980 non setting compound to keep it oil tight. Try and view on your internet 'KTM 250 SX Shift Shaft Replacement / Adventure Rider' . (all the 2 strokes use the same mounting method, so don't worry about your model being different) . Some kind person has done a series of photos explaining how to do it. Hope this helps, Bob.

Yes, just go for it  - I had a look on the fiche at your year of bike and it is exactly the same as the one on Adventure Rider. If you can afford it, the original KTM shifter is by far the best.

Edited by 7Tktm