1987 XR600R

I got a 1987 XR600R I bought brand new back in the day. Rode it very little till the last few years. Have put alot of gravel/dirt mountain road miles on the bike. is there anything in the oil lube system , pump maybe that needs maintenance ?

I got 3 - 600R's now, 2 - 87's and 1 - 94 with a factory HRC kit, all of which have have DMV titles

ED

600R's.jpg

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, E-D said:

...is there anything in the oil lube system , pump maybe that needs maintenance?...

What an awesome collection!

Other than the normal oil and filter stuff I'm sure you're aware of the supply screen in the bottom of the downtube that you'll probably want to check/clean.  If not, it's there where the supply line connects and is something that should occasionally be pulled and cleaned to insure your pump is supplied with plenty of oil from the tank.  I think it is just there to catch any junk that may be dropped into the tank from checking oil or filling it.  

There is also a scavenge screen in the bottom end accessed by removing the right side cover.  It filters the oil going to the transmission portion of the bike but doesn't really need any regular maintenance.  I'm not sure zero maintenance on it since '87 would exactly be considered regular though.  I'd probably have to pull the side cover and look at it. Truthfully, if you don't ever see much in the way of debris or metal when you drain your sump oil it is probably fine.  It isn't like oil filter media that traps the debris so it is (sort of) self cleaning.

I'm not sure there is any exact schedule called for on either so it's just something to do in your spare time.  I like to look at the guts every so often just for fun.