Grey tranny fluid 2t

Before I go diving into anything I want to ask for some advice on my tranny fluid.

Since I bought my bike I've changed it a couple times now. It always turns gray pretty quickly. Had I not been worried by reading the forums about bikes with milky fluid I don't even know that I'd be raising this question. I wouldn't consider my fluid milky but then again I don't know bikes very well. It doesn't look like it has water in it. It's not arreated at all. when I rub it in between my fingers it doesn't seem to have any water in it whatsoever. It's not white or frothy. It just feels like oil with a grey color to it instead of the clear for slightly yellow color of the Maxima 85 weight gear oil I put in it. I'm wondering if the gray isn't just coming from the clutch and other aluminum that could be in there. On top of that. I never have had to add coolant to the bike. I bought it like 6 months ago and it was full the day I got it and it was full till the other day when I emptied It For the First Time. Completely topped off that whole time. But I've heard it only takes a couple drops to possibly get into the fluid and ruin it. Although my coolant was completely topped off the whole time it certainly could have been missing a teaspoon or two. When I seen the fluid obviously. What are your guys's first impressions?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using ThumperTalk mobile app

No. Just a hose with spray nozzle. And honestly I don't clean the bike as hardcore as a lot of people do. If it's muddy or pretty dirty I'll wash it. But mostly I just spray it off every couple rides.

It's a kx500 two stroke. It's certainly not white or gooey by any means. In my fingers it feels exactly like brand new oil out of a quart. It has no different consistency and other than the color it looks extremely similar. It doesn't separate or anything. I'm beginning to think it's just turning grey because of internal components. Or possibly slipping the clutch. Although I don't feel like I slip it that much. It certainly isn't creating milky oil like I've seen in some pictures. At the very most it would be a drop here there that leaks in and doesn't even apparently change the characteristics of the oil. So in that regard it might not even be worth worrying about. If it one day looks like some of the pictures I've seen I guess that's when I'll start to worry about it. This oil looks fine other than the color and little metallic flakes in it. Most likely just the clutch :/

I bought a used bike that had been sitting a long time, maybe years, and the oil was grey the first couple of times changing the oil. I switched to ATF and changed the oil after every ride even if it was for 20 minutes. After 3-4 times the oil cleared up. I think the thin ATF cleaned out all the old gunky oil.

• Like 1

Change the stock Aluminum clutch plates out for some steel ones.  The aluminum plates are not suppose to be used for a long time.  They contaminate your oil.  Use the stock springs. you can use 06-2015 KX450F Clutch pack but not the springs.  The Tusk Competition kit is a great value and hold up great.  Don't forget to get a new clutch cover gasket.