VORTEX Owners. Can't get it right...

Bought a 2017 husky fe501 after beimg off the bike for a few years. Ill make it short and sweet. Emissions gone, reeds gone, slip on fm, vortex installed. Bike has hard time turning over still and doesnt want to idle upon initial start. Vortex was set on 5.5.5. And I think it was on the "hot" setting maybe #5 which hadnt messed with until today. Switched to map #7. And it did run better upon first idle just not great. What are y'all running for your map settings on this vortex? And am I missing something? Bike is a little frustrating right now. Any good setup tips/videos got a better running rig?

Edited by Scatillac

After installing the Vortex, did you set the throttle limits (not sure if that is the correct wording). Key on, kill switch off, run the starter a few seconds with throttle closed, then run the starter a few seconds with the throttle wide open. Procedure is in the instructions. After all the mods, the idle on mine needed to be turned up quite a bit to run properly.     ETA, I left the settings on the Vortex stock.

Edited by 556er

6 hours ago, 556er said:

After installing the Vortex, did you set the throttle limits (not sure if that is the correct wording). Key on, kill switch off, run the starter a few seconds with throttle closed, then run the starter a few seconds with the throttle wide open. Procedure is in the instructions. After all the mods, the idle on mine needed to be turned up quite a bit to run properly.     ETA, I left the settings on the Vortex stock.

Yes that is the tps calibration...

...but you also should a passive reset, to center the sensors

Stone cold motor, start and idle using no throttle, idle till water temp gets near 220 or above. Shut off motor and ride.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 556er said:

Jjust did this before post but no difference.

2 hours ago, THE KRAN said:

Yes that is the tps calibration...

...but you also should a passive reset, to center the sensors

Stone cold motor, start and idle using no throttle, idle till water temp gets near 220 or above. Shut off motor and ride.

Read this in the forums was going to give it a shot when I go out again. My problem is the engine wont even idle to warmp up. It just dies approx. 20 seconds after idle upon cold start. Maybe I just need to turn idle up more? Turned idle screw before post also but did not seem to have much effect on it. Ill try a few things tomorrow I guess. Gash I feel like a newb w this bike.

Just now, Scatillac said:

Jjust did this before post but no difference.

Read this in the forums was going to give it a shot when I go out again. My problem is the engine wont even idle to warmp up. It just dies approx. 20 seconds after idle upon cold start. Maybe I just need to turn idle up more? Turned idle screw before post also but did not seem to have much effect on it. Ill try a few things tomorrow I guess. Gash I feel like a newb w this bike.

The vortex 555 map will make it MUCH richer, which will require 5-10 clicks counterclockwise of the idle/fast idle knob to get you back up to 1800-2000 rpm

1 minute ago, THE KRAN said:

The vortex 555 map will make it MUCH richer, which will require 5-10 clicks counterclockwise of the idle/fast idle knob to get you back up to 1800-2000 rpm

Will give this a try then. Would it be better to lean it out w the vortex instead?

1 minute ago, Scatillac said:

Will give this a try then. Would it be better to lean it out w the vortex instead?

Don't guess. Try the map others have good results with, but set it up correctly. Read all the materials provided.

If it's stone cold, I use the cold start button. Once it fires up, after a few seconds roll the throttle forward to turn off the cold start. At that point, still need to throttle a bit to a fast idle for 15-30 seconds, then it idles fine.  If not it will die.

Sorry off topic, had a scare at work this morning. Bike sat outside all night at about 50 degrees. Went to start it, and it turned over very slowly. I thought oh shit, I read about this, how do I warm up the battery. Anyhow, it started up after 3 or so attempts.  I like riding in cold weather, so this is a bit disconcerting...

• Like 1

20 hours ago, 556er said:

If it's stone cold, I use the cold start button. Once it fires up, after a few seconds roll the throttle forward to turn off the cold start. At that point, still need to throttle a bit to a fast idle for 15-30 seconds, then it idles fine.  If not it will die.

Sorry off topic, had a scare at work this morning. Bike sat outside all night at about 50 degrees. Went to start it, and it turned over very slowly. I thought oh shit, I read about this, how do I warm up the battery. Anyhow, it started up after 3 or so attempts.  I like riding in cold weather, so this is a bit disconcerting...

From the EarthX website:

..What is unique about a lithium battery is you can warm the internal components by simply trying to start your vehicle. Do not try starting your vehicle for more than 10 seconds per minute as that is not good for your vehicle or battery, but after attempting to start the vehicle, wait one minute, try again. Depending on the amount of warming up needed to get the desired cranking amps, the amount of times needed to do this varies.

Essentially, 5 sec start, wait one minute, repeat.  The apparent excessive load the cold battery sees is nearly a dead short, which warms up the battery very quickly.

On ‎9‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 0:06 PM, 556er said:

Is this the stock battery?  which is probably barely adequate  , just wondering if there are lithium options that don't have this issue at all.  

Ive considered trying a lithium, but this warm up crap doesnt work for me . I'm just thinking an over sized lithium may have less issue or maybe not.  my intent was a lithium rated at 210 CCA

I think it's just a learning curve. With a lead acid battery, if the motor turns over too slowly, it's time for a jump. With the lithium, after a few attempts to start, the cca's will actually increase, I hope!