Bad yz85 buying experience clutch push lever comp just moves back and fourth?

Just bought a 2004 yz85 i was a work talked with the guy said it ran great just need carb clean and clutch cable bought from him in the past so i kind of trusted him so i told him to drop it off and my son would give him the cash..long story short turned out it need new tire brake handle carb rebuild top end barley enough compression to start (after about 15 kicks) and a complete new clutch not the cable  (cankyousayrippedoff) i know alittle about bikes enough to do the top end but the clutch not to familiar with the clutch lever on the case push lever comp just moves back and forth no tension or not catching anything at all is this a possible easy fix or where should i start??

here is a pic of the part that just moves back and fourth

push lever.jpg

Edited by nickwilliams79

Ahh, the lure of the "only needs a carb cleaning". 

So you're saying you bought it sight unseen? :facepalm:

Hope you didn't pay too much.

You should try to locate a shop (not owners) manual for it. I think you'll be needing it.

Edited by 76xtdrvr

Do you mean it's floating and flopping around, or it moves when you pull the clutch in? Just clarifying

its in place wont come out and moves back and fourth just doesn't catch anything i think i may know what the problem is its the clutch pushrod

its in place wont come out and moves back and fourth just doesn't catch anything i think i may know what the problem is its the clutch pushrod

Ya there is two pieces of rod and a tiny little steel ball between the two rods,watch for it as u pull the first rod out,it's easy to lose.

Sent from my SM-G900V using ThumperTalk mobile app

thanks again hopefully i can get this thing running without spending too much

11 hours ago, 76xtdrvr said:

Ahh, the lure of the "only needs a carb cleaning". 

So you're saying you bought it sight unseen? :facepalm:

Hope you didn't pay too much.

You should try to locate a shop (not owners) manual for it. I think you'll be needing it.

yeah i fell for it only needs a carb clean line lol its a 2004 in pretty good shape it does start i paid 400

• Like 1

13 hours ago, nickwilliams79 said:

thanks again hopefully i can get this thing running without spending too much

yeah i fell for it only needs a carb clean line lol its a 2004 in pretty good shape it does start i paid 400

Unless it needs bottom end work, you got a good deal.:thumbsup: Worst case, you could part it out for more than that.

found out what was wrong the genius that had the bike before me ended up installing the ball and push rod wrong pretty simple fix popped the head off and it just needs a ring other 1 is in pretty bad shape piston and cylinder are good looks like with alittle work i will have a decent bike thanks for all your help