Xr650r rear tire recommendations

Think I need a different tire on the xr. Currently running a d606 and this last weekend was running it at 4.5 psi and still had very little traction. I can spin the tire at near any speed, even over 60 and drifting the rear is effortless in corners. Terrain I run is a mix between hard pack,  sand and grated roads most of the time.  I had same issues at 18psi and thought it was a pressure issue but that's not the case. Just looking for suggestions, tire isn't worn much at all.

20170904_164310.jpg

1 hour ago, Rx7man said:

You'll probably want a tire with smaller tread blocks and a bit a softer compound if you're looking to improve traction, but tire life is going to suck

I could deal with a shorter life on the tire as I run a different set of wheels I run on the street with pilot c2 tires. If I do ride the dirt wheels on the street it's only for a day or 2 and I have a 5 mile round trip to work.

I am sure not many have chimed in because tires are like oil: a million different options, with a million different opinions, and someone is not going to be happy.

There is just too much variability in how someone rides compared to someone else to really say if something would be good.  What works great for someone sucks for someone else.  Just as an example, I know there are guys on here that run the Maxxis Desert IT and love it.  I have used that tire and hate it with a passion.

I currently have a 606 on the back of my R and it works fine.  I've used the 606 for racing H&Hs in Lucerne and felt it worked great.  I have used the Bridgestone ED78 and thought it was great too (doesn't last as long as the 606, but a little bit better traction).  I love the Michelin Desert Race rear tire, but not many want to spend that kind of $.  I really miss not being able to get Dunlop 695 ATs for the last 15 years if I am honest, and I was not as big of a fan of the 737 AT that replaced it.  I have not tried the newer AT-81 RC.  Just for fun I am going to try a Motoz rear tire next on my KTM, so I can take the Michelin desert off the pumpkin and put it on my 650R.

Like you, I run a separate set of wheels for when I am dinking off on dual sport rides or commuting to work.  I am liking the Kenda Big Blocks I've tried out this summer for that type of riding.

Thank you for the long winded reply, I understand that tires are like assholez and everyone has there preference. With this post I was shooting for more of a "what tire works good for the 650r" kinda deal. My buddy love a his d606 tire but he also is on a drz400 and weighs 100lbs less then me. He said I might be riding it wrong and I told him I'm going to ride it the way I ride it. I invited him to take it for a rip but that won't be till November. I've been looking at the maxxis it desert tire a lot and that might be the way to go possibly. Cops in my area won't pull me over to check dot on my tires but the exhaust might attract them lol. Thank you guys for your advice, I'm still working on it so keep them coming. 

Send me the old D606 :p  I like them for what I do, I'll trade the diminished traction when new to keep acceptable traction after beating on it for a while, I just found the knobs wear square instead of rounding off as badly

Here's a pic of a D606 (left) with a season and a half on it, and I think it's a Trakmaster on the right, with about the same, or less riding time on it... I know which one is still tolerable to ride now!
Tires definitely are a personal preference!

20170506_114133.jpg

I've had 3 different XR600s, they were murder on tires.
I raced long, fast desert races, ran about 18 to 20 psi.
Traction was a problem yes.
New tire at the start, tire was ruined after the 120 or so miles.
The pics in the post above are what a tire looked like after one race.

Edited by arthur6

On 9/13/2017 at 7:50 PM, dweller said:

Maxxis Desert IT

Store I went to looking for boots was supposed to be out of stock but I found this on the shelf and brought her home.

20170916_150002.jpg