2013 TXC250R

I'm looking at picking up a 2013 TXC250R.  Can anyone tell me about this bike, such as reliability, maintenance issues, etc...?  I've searched online and can't find very much information on these aside from the "first ride" reviews done by the magazines.  I'm looking to get some real world, long term perspective of what I can expect with this bike. Thanks.

I've had my 2011 TC250 from new. Overall it's been very reliable. Only major problem was the water pump impeller came off the end of the shaft. Luckily I noticed while the bike was on the bench-no damage done. It also snapped a kickstart shaft last season. the replacement part was an updated design which the '13 probably has. The fast idle plunger likes to seize in the throttle body, which is irritating but easily fixed, agains I think the '13 has Keihin, rather than Mikuni so this shouldn't a problem. The most annoying thing is the bar clamp which is a one piece design-if you drop the bike on the bars, it twists and cant be straightened. After replacing a few times I ended up cutting it in half-problem solved!

It's probably done over 200 hours now, without a rebuild. Original piston, everything.

The chassis is great, very light, easily tuned to your riding style, brakes are top notch Brembo. My only complaint is the lack of power-it's sloooooooow! I'm a below average club rider but it's the only bit of the bike that's a let down. Like, KX125 slow. Apparently the 2013 bikes made more power thanks to the Keihin injection and a new cylinder head so it might not be such an issue. 

Parts are still available in Europe. They take weeks to get here but haven't needed anything that's discontinued. Recently I replaced the chain slider and block without issue. You have to order most stuff OEM, there's not much aftermarket stuff out there for these bikes

23 hours ago, jayluv54 said:

I'm looking at picking up a 2013 TXC250R.  Can anyone tell me about this bike, such as reliability, maintenance issues, etc...?  I've searched online and can't find very much information on these aside from the "first ride" reviews done by the magazines.  I'm looking to get some real world, long term perspective of what I can expect with this bike. Thanks.

We had two of these in our riding group. One was an ex pro's GNCC bike and the other bone stock. Bone stock bike was a problem child and never ran very well. Stator, fuel pump, and temp sensor failed. Many others have had issues like these and based on my research it's a 50-50 shot of having a great running bike. But when they do run they are really nice bikes. I owned two pre-BMW models. Parts are available but are slow in coming and resale more importantly a "sale" afterwards is very low. Personally I would skip this bike as there are plenty of better supported/ruining bikes out there.

Pancho - Bikes are not slow, you most likely had issues!

Edited by weantright

Thanks for the responses guys, I decided to pass on it.  Bike was immaculately clean, almost too clean, looked brand new.  But after I let it warm up and tried to give it gas, it immediately started bogging and stalling.  Adjusted the idle and it improved, but as I was really trying to feel the bike out, the dealership owner told me to kill it and if I wanted to really test it, I needed to buy it first....WTF.  Regardless, the bike looked nice, but at the same time cheap, almost chinese-like when looking at the various components. I know Husky is a good brand, but looking at the motor really reminded me of my neighbors chinese quad, a lot of cheap plastic, cluttered with wires, connectors, etc., and just looked poorly put together.  I could just foresee the frustration in my future if I bought that bike.