XR70 w/ Uni Pod filter owners - which size did you use?

2002 XR70.  I'm looking to fit a UNI 2-stage pod filter to it.  I will verify the intake side diameter, but the options of UNI filter sizes/shapes/angles seem limitless...

I found this one on T-bolt that I think I'm going to go with, assuming it'll fit the carb

https://tboltusa.com/store/uni-dual-stage-foam-air-filterbr-35mm125in-p-1180.html

But on dennis kirk, they have what seem like 101 difference UNI filters - longer, shorter, fatter, angled... Just want to make sure I get one that'll fit properly between the frame and case.

Also, I know I'll likely have to re-jet it and I am capable of doing so, but if someone has a setup that is working for them, I'd love to hear what you did to give me an idea of a baseline. (completely stock bike and exhaust).

Thanks!

The UNI filter that you have linked above is the correct one for the stock XR70 carb, the straight one is UP-4125ST, the angled one is UP-4125AST.

Running a bigger carb necessitates an angled intake, so the carb clears the frame, and an angled filter puts it out of the way of your left leg.

So will an angled one fit w stock carb in the stock position and not hit the frame or case?

Yeah, I haven't ordered anything yet and I'm second guessing the pod filter to be honest.  If what I'm told is true (that it won't make a difference on feel) it might not be worth the hassle.  I was hoping to liven it up a hair on the cheap so I could tool around a little easier with my boy on his 50.  I'm not sure on the path forward completely yet - it all depends how much he grows and excels at riding.  I'd be tempted to put a manual clutch on it though because it would be a nice way to teach him how to use one.

On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 10:58 AM, 4strokeridertt said:

Not a great mod if you or your kid likes blasting thru puddles or riding in the wet.

We've bought several XR50s & 70s with pod filters where the kid ran through some water, water instantly gets sucked into the engine and bends the rod.
We buy a used crank off eBay and swap into the engine, problem solved.
Also we've bought quite a few XR50s & 70s with pod filters that don't run well, we buy a stock airbox off eBay, problem solved. 

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 0:58 PM, apbling said:

I'd be tempted to put a manual clutch on it though because it would be a nice way to teach him how to use one.

You can buy a good used XR80 (with a real clutch) for the same price as you can sell your XR70.

12 hours ago, arthur6 said:

We've bought several XR50s & 70s with pod filters where the kid ran through some water, water instantly gets sucked into the engine and bends the rod.
We buy a used crank off eBay and swap into the engine, problem solved.
Also we've bought quite a few XR50s & 70s with pod filters that don't run well, we buy a stock airbox off eBay, problem solved. 

Good point. Mine came with a pod and people are asking an arm and leg for the stock airbox on ebay.

I have mine jetted with pod and runs great. I don't ride through puddles.

Generally, a properly oiled and maintained pod air filter will resist water saturation unless you're riding through seat-deep puddles. Adding a water-resistant Outerwear filter cover is a bonus in constant wet conditions.