Installing a trail tech voyager

Wifey got me a voyager for my birthday now I need to install it in my 2013 drz400s. I want to keep the warning lights but remove the Speedo module. Looks like I will need a spacer to remove the speedo drive. Wirimg harness issues? What else should I be ready for? Tips, photos, name calling, whatever

Sent from my SM-G930V using ThumperTalk mobile app

The speedo sensor/magnet spacing is critical.  I fussed with mine on my old XT350 quite a bit to make it reliable.  Once done, it was great.  Loved the ability to calibrate it (wheel size setting) accurately to match my GPS.  I almost kept it when I sold the XT to get the DRZ, but didn't have working speedo for the XT.

I just installed mine on the weekend. A couple of things to consider-

You can keep your OEM speedo spacer if you like. Just disconnect the cable and block the cable hole.

You can keep the blinker, Neutral and high beam cluster. Unscrew it from the speedo and double sided tape to the voyager.

I mounted my sensor to the front of the forks via a bracket instead of drilling into the caliper.

Use the red wire from the original speedo harness for constant power. no need to go to the battery. Use a fuse as detailed in the instructions. Black wire to ground under a triple tree bolt.

RPM wire to positive side of coil. Need to remove tank.

A couple of hours to fit this but well worth it.

2 hours ago, Ilia . said:

...RPM wire to positive side of coil...

Did you just strip the inductive pickup line and splice in or solder that on the positive pickup? I did the wrap but the delay and refresh sucks with that type of sensor, would be nice to switch over to direct read.

For the Speedo i just went into a slit in the rotor and just used a dremel to open a perfect magnet circle and press fit it in with some epoxy to boot (also used some tape to cover one side and keep the expoy nice and flush) -> Really happy with the results, would suggest that route if you have a dremel or die grinder 👍

Edited by RC_ichard

3 minutes ago, RC_ichard said:

Did you just strip the inductive pickup line and splice in or solder that on the positive pickup? I did the wrap but the delay and refresh sucks with that type of sensor, would be nice to switch over to direct read.

Connect it to the white wire going to the coil.

Did you route the sensor wire with the brake line or separately

Sent from my SM-G930V using ThumperTalk mobile app

I don't have a good pic. of mine but yes i routed mine with the brake line, through the eyelet/guide , zip tied to each other and leaving the ties apart enough so that they would not touch/bind in the eyelet through the full fork travel.

Sent from my LG-H831 using ThumperTalk mobile app

Yes, routed with the brake line with cable ties but made sure that there was enough movement when the shock is depressed.