Boise Area Tire Preferences

I'm moving to Nampa here this weekend from Seattle area.  What tires seem to work best around that area for mountain single track?  Any preferences? Right now I'm running a Michelin Starcross 5 Medium  on my Beta 300RR and it is falling apart here in Washington, so don't know that I would get it again for Idaho. Thanks guys.

Most of my Idaho peeps run trials tires.

I tried a IRC trials tire and I was a bit too aggressive for it. A hybrid might fit me better.

Shinko cheater in back, goldentyre fatty up front.

I've been considering the cheater. How do you like it? How does it hold up to more aggressive AA rider for example? I already have a fatty tire up front, but it's the Shinko.

I don't think it'll last long with aggressive wheel spinning.  it's more of a traction finder.

I don't think it'll last long with aggressive wheel spinning.  it's more of a traction finder.

I'm not much of a wheel spinner so that sounds like it might be a good fit. Thanks for the input!

On 9/6/2017 at 6:37 PM, brysonrs said:

I tried a IRC trials tire and I was a bit too aggressive for it. A hybrid might fit me better.

You might find that your aggressive tendencies mellow a bit in the Idaho mountains. The tight ST with exposure would be a lot harder to manage if you're ham-fisted on the throttle. You might also find that the hard mountain stuff is even harder without a TT. In the end, you'll probably have to try a few different tires to find out what works best for you.

• Like 1

You might find that your aggressive tendencies mellow a bit in the Idaho mountains. The tight ST with exposure would be a lot harder to manage if you're ham-fisted on the throttle. You might also find that the hard mountain stuff is even harder without a TT. In the end, you'll probably have to try a few different tires to find out what works best for you.

I actually lived in southeast Idaho by Idaho falls and rode in the high mountain single track when I tried the trials tire. I'm not a wheel spinner and smooth on the throttle, but didn't like the braking , low stability at speed, and bad cornering. The straight line traction up rocks was amazing, but the downsides outweighed the upsides for me. Just personal preference though, I know some people that use them and like them. I think the Shinko cheater might be the best of both worlds for me.
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, brysonrs said:

I actually lived in southeast Idaho by Idaho falls and rode in the high mountain single track when I tried the trials tire. I'm not a wheel spinner and smooth on the throttle, but didn't like the braking , low stability at speed, and bad cornering. The straight line traction up rocks was amazing, but the downsides outweighed the upsides for me. Just personal preference though, I know some people that use them and like them. I think the Shinko cheater might be the best of both worlds for me.

Gotcha. I didn't realize you had previous experience there with the TT. You have loads of good terrain to test on so I'm sure you'll find what works for you soon.

Gotcha. I didn't realize you had previous experience there with the TT. You have loads of good terrain to test on so I'm sure you'll find what works for you soon.

I only lived there for a little bit and never found the best tire, but I will play around a little more and hopefully see what works for people I ride with.

We just got back from McCall, I ran the worst tire ever (A/T81) and it worked well on the Idaho rock that affords excellent traction. I think any good knobby or trials tire will be fine in the area.

I am not a real fan of the fatty but mounted up the new "Chubby" from GoldenTyre which is  between the regular and Fatty sizes. I LOVE IT. Has excellent compliance in the rocks and roots without wanting to climb up out of the ruts like the Fatty.

90/100 fatty 216

90/90 NEW CHUBBY (in between size) 216AA

80/100 standard 216

I normally run 12 lbs with UHD tubes but ran this Chubby at 16 lbs because of the nasty sharp edge rock and it sucked up the rocks and had the feel of much lower pressure, is wearing well also. The at 81 is pretty roasted.

• Like 3