Are the newer bikes much better?

I have an 08 200xc. 

I ride it hard, I do the harescrambles and JDay series. I keep this bike very well maintain. I only use genuine KTM stuff for any hard parts (bearing, seals, pistons, levers) and keep everything clean and race ready. I have the suspension done up and the jetting and PV dialed in. I know how to rebuild it with my eyes closed.

I am wondering if I should hang on to this bike for like 5 more years or start looking at the newer 2 strokes (not brand new). 

Do the newer ones handle or perform significantly better then 04-09 generation? Are they easier or harder to work on? Are they any more reliable or put together better?

34 minutes ago, 2strokezuke said:

I have an 08 200xc. 

I ride it hard, I do the harescrambles and JDay series. I keep this bike very well maintain. I only use genuine KTM stuff for any hard parts (bearing, seals, pistons, levers) and keep everything clean and race ready. I have the suspension done up and the jetting and PV dialed in. I know how to rebuild it with my eyes closed.

I am wondering if I should hang on to this bike for like 5 more years or start looking at the newer 2 strokes (not brand new). 

Do the newer ones handle or perform significantly better then 04-09 generation? Are they easier or harder to work on? Are they any more reliable or put together better?

Yes, I have a 13 200 (for sale :) ) and it is a step better than my 10.  It handles great, and is very easy to wrench on.  The engines are essentially the same, but the chassis got quite a bit better imo.  I have a 17 now, and only have a few hours on it, but so far I honestly like the 13 better for both wrenching and riding.

Edited by poldies4

1 hour ago, poldies4 said:

Yes, I have a 13 200 (for sale :) ) and it is a step better than my 10.  It handles great, and is very easy to wrench on.  The engines are essentially the same, but the chassis got quite a bit better imo.  I have a 17 now, and only have a few hours on it, but so far I honestly like the 13 better for both wrenching and riding.

what about when suspension is done on the 2010 , would there be any difference then ?

No, I've had up to the 08 model when I was racing and have a 02 125 sx (200exc engine)now.Now I know someone is going to say, well the 09 and newer are the bomb, Whatever. LOL not. Other than E start ever ting is the same.

7 hours ago, kxrob said:

what about when suspension is done on the 2010 , would there be any difference then ?

Subjective, much like my answer.  Markit clearly likes the older bikes, even though they are not the same.  There have been several frame updates, as well as significant suspension changes.  So the "same" depends on the rider.

Depends on who does the work. I'm old school so no one touches my race bike but me, be like handing out the ol lady.
  • Like 1

200s are real popular with my riding group.  All the post 200 versions are represented.  Of the bunch, I like the earlier models the best.  They feel more like the 125s that I like to ride, but with a lot more torque.  The newer bikes are noticeably bigger (KTM went to one frame size in 07???), and do not seem to rail in the woods as well for me.  Understand that ALL of these bikes have had suspension work done.  If we are talking stock suspension, well then yes the newer bikes are going to be better.  But there are plenty of tuners that can make the older bikes work really well.  

In general, when talking about "modern" smokers (say post-2000), I find that set-up and condition are far more important that year.  For example, in my own case, I prefer my steel frame YZ over my current generation YZ.  Both have been set-up by the same well-regarded suspension guy, but, like many others, I find the steel bike just works a little better.  If I sell one of them, it's going to be the newer bike.

Try some of the newer bikes and see what you think.  But in general, I think the days of bikes improving by leaps and bounds (like they did in the 1970s when I started) are over.  Your bike will continue to be competitive for quite a few more years I would think.

Edited by rpt50
  • Like 1

Cool. I'll stick with it for a while. 

I'm not a big fan of the E-start, injection, or the air shock anyway. I'm sure there all great but for me its just another thing thats going to break and probably expensive to fix. I have enough problems with cars.

I think the biggest jump was in '17.  I held off buying a new bike until the '17s were on sale, coming from an 07 250XC.  I only have a few rides on my 17 250xc but initial impression of the air forks are that they are really good and i like having the ability to change the "spring" rate without taking the forks apart.  The counter balanced motor, electric start, and option for lighting are what sold me.  I'm not fast/good enough to really tell a difference between the PDS and linkage rear.

As far as easier to work on, no, everything is about in the same spot.  Reliability...probably about the same, the only issue i ever had with my 07 is the stupid counter shaft seal leaking every year but nothing major, too early to tell on the 17 but i haven't heard of any significant problems (exluding the jetting issues but i dont really consider that significant).   

• Like 1

I came off an 04 125sx and onto a 16 tc125/150.

It is noticable better to me. It is easier to ride. Much more stable and still turns outstanding.  The turning radius at full lock is a huge plus for slow stuff.  The weight savings is awesome. 

• Like 2

On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 5:45 AM, 2strokezuke said:

Cool. I'll stick with it for a while. 

I'm not a big fan of the E-start, injection, or the air shock anyway. I'm sure there all great but for me its just another thing thats going to break and probably expensive to fix. I have enough problems with cars.

So you HAVE ridden one enough to say that you don't like the e-start, counter balancer, and AER forks at least? Hard to believe.

Joe

Edited by trailmeisterjoe

I went from an 08 250 to a 17. Big difference is the turning radius because the CDI was on side of frame on the older bike. I actually fell over before because bike wouldn't turn sharp trying to turn in the woods. The new bike feels super light and you can throw it around in the tight stuff. And the counterbalancer is awesome along with the estart. I'll never go back to kick starting a motorcycle. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Southernend said:

I went from an 08 250 to a 17. Big difference is the turning radius because the CDI was on side of frame on the older bike. I actually fell over before because bike wouldn't turn sharp trying to turn in the woods. The new bike feels super light and you can throw it around in the tight stuff. And the counterbalancer is awesome along with the estart. I'll never go back to kick starting a motorcycle. 

I'm a big fan of the magic button too, never minded a kick start, but man, the button is hard to beat.