Replacing left crank case crf250r 2007

Hello! I'm new to this. I have a crf250r 2007 and the drive chain went though the left crank case and tore the left clutch lever press off. I got a new left crank case but no shops want to change it for me. I've done a bit of reading on this and wondering if all I have to do is remove the counter balance gear from the right side an leave the rest. Or do I have to completely remove all the stuff on the right side like clutch an what not in order to change the left side? 

23 hours ago, Michelin said:

Hello! I'm new to this. I have a crf250r 2007 and the drive chain went though the left crank case and tore the left clutch lever press off. I got a new left crank case but no shops want to change it for me. I've done a bit of reading on this and wondering if all I have to do is remove the counter balance gear from the right side an leave the rest. Or do I have to completely remove all the stuff on the right side like clutch an what not in order to change the left side? 

Is this the left OUTER cover?

If so, other than a new gasket, it pretty easy to do all to need to do

Put the bike on a stand

remove the shifter

drain the engine oil

remove the 2 bolts for the oil filter and note how the filter/spring go in

remove all the other bolts in the left outer case (I make a card board template to hold the bolts in so I now where they go back in

gently pop off the old case

carefully remove the old gasket - I use a safety razor blade and do not scratch the inner case.

then methodically install gasket, cover etc etc.

Then I would put in a new oil filter/oil correctly

I might be missing something cus its been awhile and I'm sure you can search for a you tube video of how to do this on say any CRF250R from 2004 to 2009

Otherwise check you PM's

EDIT: I use these guys for their OEM microfiche but there are other places to get them.

http://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts?gclid=Cj0KCQjw3MPNBRDjARIsAOYU6x_l8XyH_XcHYTFYzOjlIx0_f1jB6BiEerGn-ZlGXxnzBCPewMu5Gv4aAscjEALw_wcB

Then this is all you really need to do and swap over any parts that did not come with the new outer cover

hj0706050010.jpg.f014af9d6a2890975cfd02db5de04919.jpg

Edited by filterx

Thanks for the quick reply! Unfortunately it's the inner left crank case. I have watched the YouTube videos and read the forms other people have posted. However, in all of them they completely take the whole thing apart, going to give it a go this Saturday, it seems not to be too intimidating seeing that the gears are all mark with the punch marks. Not sure on the clutch rod though, I'm assuming there is only one way to put the clutch Doyle in the hole which internally moves the clutch rod when you haul the clutch leaver in. Sorry for my bad description but if there is anyothinh I should definitely becareful with an pay extra attention to would be greatly appreciated 

I don't think this is going to be as easy as you think.  If your talking about the left inner case then you will have to pull the motor out and completely take it apart.  The cylinder and head will have to come off as the left case half has studs in it that run through the cylinder and into the head.  Then im guessing the clutch has to some out, along with the drive gears and balancer shaft.  I don't know how much time you have on the motor but if I was going to have it torn that far apart I would consider doing some preventative maintenance while I was there.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Michelin said:

Thanks for the quick reply! Unfortunately it's the inner left crank case. I have watched the YouTube videos and read the forms other people have posted. However, in all of them they completely take the whole thing apart, going to give it a go this Saturday, it seems not to be too intimidating seeing that the gears are all mark with the punch marks. Not sure on the clutch rod though, I'm assuming there is only one way to put the clutch Doyle in the hole which internally moves the clutch rod when you haul the clutch leaver in. Sorry for my bad description but if there is anyothinh I should definitely becareful with an pay extra attention to would be greatly appreciated 

YA I should have read your first post a bit better and would have figured out its the inner.

IMO big job and IF i was to have at it myself, I would be doing this a buddy's place with a full shop.

Good luck hope I was able to help with my other info