New dirt bike today. Scared need advice

So I bought a new dirt bike today. It's not my first. My first was a 110 when I was 11. Then I had a quad. Then I didn't have anything for awhile. I currentmy have a harley Davidson and love it. But for some reason I'm scared if this dirt bike. Granted it is a race bike. But it's not the first dirt bike I've rode. I taught a 13 year old kid who was deathly scared of getting on a bike and I convinced him and he fell in love. Tsught him hiw to jumo and ride wheelies. He can oull wheelies from first to 4th no problem. But for some reason I have this fear when I ride my bike. It's both like I'm ok with just putting around but I can't even get myself to try a wheelie. Do I just need time?

It took a while for me to get used to my kx250f i know exactly how you feel just remember to keep your foot on the back brake and you'll get it it just takes time

• Like 1

Here is a how to wheelie video I made, I have never flipped a wheelie so it works for me. Hope it helps you.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Bassguy13 said:

So I bought a new dirt bike today. It's not my first. My first was a 110 when I was 11. Then I had a quad. Then I didn't have anything for awhile. I currentmy have a harley Davidson and love it. But for some reason I'm scared if this dirt bike. Granted it is a race bike. But it's not the first dirt bike I've rode. I taught a 13 year old kid who was deathly scared of getting on a bike and I convinced him and he fell in love. Tsught him hiw to jumo and ride wheelies. He can oull wheelies from first to 4th no problem. But for some reason I have this fear when I ride my bike. It's both like I'm ok with just putting around but I can't even get myself to try a wheelie. Do I just need time?

What is up with wheelies?? Forget that crap and just ride it at an even pace and build up from there.

Joe

• Like 8

What kind of riding do you want to do?  I know a ton of riders that don't have any desire to do a wheelie.  Unless you are trying to learn to cross larger obstacles you really don't have need to ever wheelie.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, trailmeisterjoe said:

What is up with wheelies?? Forget that crap and just ride it at an even pace and build up from there.

Joe

:thumbsup:

• Like 2

What kind of bike?  You must have a 250 two stroke or 450f.  I just bought a bike two weeks ago first bike in about 20 years.   Rmz250.  I was quite surprised with the torque and power I always had 2 strokes.   But it its very easy to handle.  I'm curious what kind of bike you got.  I'm sure you'll get back in the swing of things.   After two rides it was like I was 17 again.   It just takes a bit to get used to riding again.