I got my hands on one..im a 2 stroke fan but god damn this 17 450sxf is the best bike I've owned. I love the suspension how easily it is to adjust and change. Plenty of horsepower and speed. For my style of riding a 50t in the rear Is nice. You will love the hell out of it. Respect her though she pumps and rips like no other bike I've ridden with the exception of crotch rockets. 

• Like 1

I just picked one up 2 weeks ago. I have ridden it 4 times so far and like it. It handles and turns great and the brakes are really good. Power is on tap and although it is fast it is a linear power delivery. Watch the rear spokes by the rim lock as they loosen quicker than the other ones. You will also find that they are built differently than the jap bikes, hard to explain but you will see once you get wrenching on it. It is an easy to ride bike and I felt at home on it after a few laps, I say this coming off of a Honda and had been recently riding a 16 Kawi 450, felt similar. Im happy! 

Also, make sure you spec torque the rear axle nut and not just seat of the pants torque as it is aluminum. 

Thanks, I've ridden the jap bikes for years so I'm a little nervous dropping a big wad of $$ on a bike I'm not familiar with but everyone sure seems to like them

Sent from my SM-G390W using ThumperTalk mobile app

• Like 1

21 hours ago, fowler175 said:

Picking up a 17 sx450f in the crate tomorrow. Anything i should know about these? It'll be my 1st KTM

If you getting it in the crate, it won't run until the dealer unlocks the ecu.

They opened it to unlock it for me Love the power & nimble feeling already... just gotta get the suspension broke in and get a baseline to start with. At 160lb, the manual recommends a lighter spring but racetech suggests the stock 4.6 is good? And racetech recommends 150psi in the fork... any thoughts on this as a starting point? Vet & intermediate mx

If you decide on the lighter spring I have the stock 42nm spring from my 17 350 sxf. I'd be happy to trade if you're interested.

Try going all the way down to 130psi and see which one feels best , go in 5psi jumps then maybe try 2psi jumps

you can't argue with stupid or Yamaha owners

• Like 2

So, little update... at just over a year since I bought it & just under 70hrs (haven't got to ride quite as much as I'd like), I haven't had a minute of doubt with this bike! I have had the shock revalved & run an sdi bladder (for ease of maintenance), running a devol transformer link, the aer forks are still stock with the exception of updated 2018 parts when I did seals at about 55 hrs (didn't have issues, just proactive) and with a little testing, adjusting clickers, air press & oil height I've got the suspension working smoooth like butter!! I bought the xcf battery box but haven't felt the need to upgrade my battery yet, went to a 50t sprocket out back, changed bars to a bend of my liking, clean air filters regularly, oil change every 5-8hrs... hasn't missed a beat & I'm still absolutely lovin it!

• Like 6

20181018_160056.jpg.acf46544e1385b3c13cb026440985b45.jpg

Great mx season, largely due to this beauty...  Not a lot to do to it over the winter for next year, maybe an exhaust & remap.  I'm thinking of trying the PC T-6 slip-on, anybody have any reviews of this pipe on the sxf/xcf450?

• Like 2

On 9/7/2017 at 9:15 PM, mx317 said:

If you getting it in the crate, it won't run until the dealer unlocks the ecu.

Yep, and the stock map is lean. you will want to richen it up.

On 10/20/2018 at 12:56 PM, fowler175 said:

20181018_160056.jpg.acf46544e1385b3c13cb026440985b45.jpg

Great mx season, largely due to this beauty...  Not a lot to do to it over the winter for next year, maybe an exhaust & remap.  I'm thinking of trying the PC T-6 slip-on, anybody have any reviews of this pipe on the sxf/xcf450?

No, but i did just put on an Akrapovic Evolution system on MY 2018 450 SXF and after I had KTM remap it, It was awoken!! I couldn't believe the difference! you should check it out!

IMG_0755.jpg

• Like 1

On 9/7/2017 at 12:09 AM, fowler175 said:

Picking up a 17 sx450f in the crate tomorrow. Anything i should know about these? It'll be my 1st KTM

The filter cage likes to rip the air filter. I'm running a twinAir Powercage with flame retardant filter, Love it!

• Like 2

On 10/27/2018 at 12:20 AM, Wes Woodin said:

The filter cage likes to rip the air filter. I'm running a twinAir Powercage with flame retardant filter, Love it!

You can also trim up the stock filter to get rid of the sharp edges if you do not wish to replace it. 

• Like 2

I've got the same bike at 140 hours right now. I have had to adjust all 4 valves twice. I put one piston in it at 80 hours. Did the valves at 60 hours and 120 hours. I run a full FMF megabomb and it really woke it up from stock form with a map. I've had the wiring come apart on me 4 separate times. Start button once, red battery wire once, solenoid once, and cable under the tank so it wouldn't start in any of these cases. The subframe cross member that the battery grounds into broke at the welds and had to have that repaired. Besides those little things nothing that actually makes the bike go has given me any trouble. I will definitely buy another. 

• Like 2