XR 200 Voltage Regulator

I am gonna put a headlight on my 2003 200R and was wondering if any ole 12V  voltage regulator would work? Or should I be looking at wattage output?

They all work, but some of the XR250R regs are plug n play because the have two wire input, and connectors, that plug into the alternator output wires. Check out ebay for 90-04 XR250R, and the clue to the 250R reg is the color of the wires;

Pink to Alt
Yellow to Alt
Green to ground
White/yellow connects headlitght

The clue it is an AC reg is the W/Y output rather than R on the Honda reg/rect.

Edited by Chuck.

Thanks Chuck, found a "90" 250 regulator on eBay for $2.  So I obviously  just match the colors but (green to black) and then the red from the lights go to the W/Y from the reg. and I tie the black from the lights into a ground or to the frame somewhere? 

IMG_20170915_200704544.jpg

IMG_20170915_201117577.jpg

IMG_20170915_201629497.jpg

Edited by dwil4

The green wires in the Honda harness will connect to the frame ground point, on your bike the frame ground point should be on left side just aft of the steering head. If you have repainted the frame wo the engine the paint may prevent good bonding between the frame and engine, I've added a bonding wire from the cylinder head to the frame ground point.

The two wire output from your alternator were designed to power a DC system so two options:

Pick one as a common and bond it to the frame ground.

Or pick one as common and use it as the "common' wires for the lights.

Pink is a good choice because that leave yellow as the "hot" which matches Honda's color scheme.
You can buy heat shrink tubing in colors and use it to mark wires that have a color that is different than Honda. Even Honda will add a short length of shrink fit to a wire to indicate a connection to a different color, or the second color for the wire.  The following is for street bikes but Honda uses the same wire colors on dirt bikes.

wirecolor.jpg.5f60f5ed0a84d3a615983d3b9e700865.jpg

Thanks Chuck and sorry but maybe I'm not getting it cause that confused me a bit. Do I tie these wires into the same color wires from my stator with the green from reg. tying to black from stator(or to the frame)? Then use the W/Y from the reg.to power the lights??

IMG_20170916_071425-2254x4007.jpg

Edited by dwil4

Sorry, I thought the first pic was of the regulator wires, and it showed only three wires.

If this picture is of the four wires from the regulator then;
Y/W is AC power for the light. It will connect to the light or a switch.
Y and P go to the Y and P from the alternator.
G connects to harness G (ground).

The wire that goes to the center pin of the headlight bulb will connect to the Y/W. If you have a hi/lo bulb there will be two pins on the bulb, pick one.
On my X the bulb is hi/lo and the connector has 2 wires plus ground wire, but the chassis wiring connector only has one wire (plus ground).
On my XR I connected the Y/W to the hi beam of the headlight bulb. 
Honda wire colors for switched power to Hi/Lo beams are white for low beam and blue for high beam.

The wire that connects to the shell of the headlight bulb goes to Green (ground).

If you are going for a  Hi/Lo headlight switch I suggest a K&S handle bar switch because they  use Honda colors, and one version has a prewired connector plus a chassis mate with loose pins.

Honda size bullet connectors: http://www.cycleterminal.com/bullet-connectors.html

Best 2-9 pin locking connectors in color, same style as K&S, also used by Honda, not waterproof but OK for lights: http://www.cycleterminal.com/110-connectors.html

Just remembered that these little lights are LED. That changes things correct? They need to be DC right?

IMG_20170916_104408181-2254x4007-1465x2604.jpg

That changes things, you asked about a 12volt regulator and I posted info on some XR units. If you want DC you need to add a rectifier, Radio shack has some fairly cheap, so does ebay, that you could add to your now regulated system. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bridge-Diode-Rectifier-KBPC1510-KBPC-1510-15A-1000V-1kV-Copper-Lead-DIY-RoHS-New/182397416232?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Or buy a rectifier/regulator used on estart Hondas MCs, ATVs, and lawnmowers, several versions on ebay. Most will be 5 or 6 wire devices designed for three phase alternators (three phase alternators have 3 yellow wires out), but will work on single phase alternators by just using only 2 of the 3 yellow input wires.  A lot of them have connectors rather than wires so you will need a connector plug and pin IDs. 
e.g. CRF250X/450X, CRF230F, XR250L, XR650L, TRX250/450, RT5000 mower, etc.

To regulate properly most will probably need a filter on the DC side, can be a battery or a capacitor; I've used a 10,000microFarad 50volt capacitor; also avail on ebay or Amazon.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-000uf-50-volt-ELECTROLYTIC-CAPACITOR-85-degree-2-PIECES-qzty/282304286164?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I've also used the TrailTech rect/reg, the current version has a timer: https://www.thumpertalk.com/shop/Trail-Tech-Full-Wave-DC-Switching-Regulator-Rectifier-with-Auto-Shut-Off-7004-RR150-p4812353.html

Testing bridge rectifier (SH547-12): 

I haven't put the regulator on yet so do I still need it if I'm running DC lights?

Edited by dwil4

Regulators controls the voltage so bulbs don't blow.
Rectifiers changes AC from the alternator to DC, and DC is needed for LED lights. They usually include voltage regulation, and referred to as a rect/reg, or reg/rect, or R/R. So if you get a Honda R/R you won't need the XR250R Regulator.

Really doesn't matter where the regulation is done; on the AC or the DC, but most reg/rect regulate to control the DC output voltage.   So just install a 12volt Honda R/R and the output will be correct. You may need to add a capacitor to filter voltage spikes that can trigger the regulator. The symptom is falling voltage as the engine speed increases, and is most obvious with an incandescent headlight because it will be bright at idle but becomes dimmer as engine rpm increases towards 5000rpm.  Symptoms will also occur with a bad battery.

This one good to go?  So you say I should also use a capacitor?

IMG_20171031_130436.jpg

I really like trail techs reg/rec. the timed output is really handy if you end up adding a battery

Not planning on adding a battery. I really don't ride a whole lot like I used to but sometimes I get caught up at the folks house after dark so it would be nice to have a light to get home instead of leaving it there or using a flashlight. 

That should work. Looks like 3 yellow wires for input and two for output.  Just connect 2 of the yellow R?R wires to the yellow and pink from the alternator.

The regulator may only sense two of the three inputs so if you have a regulation problem with the DC output exchange one yellow with the unused yellow, and if that doesn't work swap the pinkr with the new unused yellow.

Some led lights will run on ac, buy one of those lights and leave it ac.