Fouling while in motion?

Went for a ride today after installing my flywheel weight. Bike fired up fine, I let it idle for a couple minutes and then took off slowly and after about a hundred yards the bike kind of bogged and died. My first thought was I forgot to turn my petcock on, but that wasn't the problem. Is it possible for plugs to foul so bad the bike won't run while I'm driving? Every time I've fouled plugs in the past it's been while idling too long with snowmobiles. I have been driving quite slowly and lugging lots recently though. I know I could just grab a new plug and try it but the bike is about an hour away from my house so if there's something else I should check out I'd like to know ahead of time.

If I understand what your saying--you can't just run out to the garage and check--yes, it's probably the plug.  I can't think of anything regarding FWW installation that would cause it stop running.  Make sure you buy a new plug (or plugs), as it's very difficult to effectively clean a fouled plug.  Since the bike is not near your house, is the gas fresh?   Beyond that, I'm just guessing...

Like the other guy said, on a high-performance two stroke you want to keep the idling to a minimum.  When you start the bike, switch off the choke as soon as it will run, and blip the throttle some.  I usually begin riding slowly within a minute of start up, and gradually pick up the pace.  Once you start to feel some warmth in the radiators you can start to pick up the pace.  

Edited by rpt50
  • Like 2

Sorry if I was unclear but basically I've never experienced a plug fouling that caused the machine to die while I was riding it. I've had plugs that cause a machine to run rough or not start but all my experience as been with larger 2 cylinder engines. I was always taught to warm up engines thoroughly before riding, but I guess a cold sieze is much less likely when it's +30 degrees instead of -30 (this is my first dirt bike, I'm primarily used to snowmobiles).

The way you described is usually how they foul. Sounds like a "normal" fouling to me!

Good to know! Just thought I would doublecheck since I haven't experienced fouling like this before.

+1 normal foul. If the house is an hour, you can try to clean the plug especially down and around the insulator. Who knows you might get lucky.