2016 rmz250 smoking after break in

Hey guys so I finally put a got hard ride in on my 250 and after riding I noticed it was smoking out the exhaust the bike is completely stock and only time it had on it before was about 3 hours of break in time , I checked coolant level and its still the same as before I went out as I always check fluid level before , I've never seen this happen someone said it could be the exhaust packing burning up but the bike only has about 5 hours on it if that , other then the smoking exhaust pipe the bike runs mint the gear box is still a little stiff but I'm sure it will loosen up after awhile, anyone else ever experience this smoking before ? The smell is awful I can say that much lol

Pics? How much smoke? The packing can burn when new, and does stink, but should abate in short order. Did you really baby it during break in? Wondering about seating.

On 9/12/2017 at 3:24 PM, Torrture said:

Pics? How much smoke? The packing can burn when new, and does stink, but should abate in short order. Did you really baby it during break in? Wondering about seating.

Yea I babied it during break in ,basically just went by the manual ,and it doesn't smoke when it's running or when I'm driving it only starts to smoke after I'm done riding,it was alot of smoke the first time I noticed it ,the second time was a lot less and I haven't rode since then ,I honestly don't thinks it's coolent as my coolent level hasn't changed  ,and my oil levels are all the same so I am stumped 

Its the packing inside the exhaust, had the same thing happen this past weekend while breaking in my 2017.  I also had this happen when I put a new Tanabe exhaust on my Mazda 6 a couple years ago.  Don't know if its a Japanese exhaust material that causes it or what, but apparently its completely normal for that to happen the first few times its run.

9 hours ago, jayluv54 said:

Its the packing inside the exhaust, had the same thing happen this past weekend while breaking in my 2017.  I also had this happen when I put a new Tanabe exhaust on my Mazda 6 a couple years ago.  Don't know if its a Japanese exhaust material that causes it or what, but apparently its completely normal for that to happen the first few times its run.

Did it smell horrible ?

its most likely what jayluv said above but for what its worth, breaking the bike in is mostly about seating the rings in the cylinder. the idea is to build pressure without too much heat. the best way to do this is to find a long hill and ride up it in a tall gear gradually increasing throttle. at the top turn around and ride down the hill allowing the bike to engine break all the way down. repeat this a few times and you should seat your rings just perfect.

• Like 1

Just now, funkinalive said:

its most likely what jayluv said above but for what its worth, breaking the bike in is mostly about seating the rings in the cylinder. the idea is to build pressure without too much heat. the best way to do this is to find a long hill and ride up it in a tall gear gradually increasing throttle. at the top turn around and ride down the hill allowing the bike to engine break all the way down. repeat this a few times and you should seat your rings just perfect.

I have broken a bike motor lots if times never had and issue  but I will try that method sounds alot less boring lol

• Like 2