Prepping for ice riding this winter

just got a new bike and a set of used ice tires from a buddy. Looking for get it on the lake this winter, anybody have any tips or point me to some resources for set up? 

What should I be doing to keep motor temp up, heat shield of some sort? Different thermo? Certain mix of coolant? 

If anybody has good ideas or links to good resources I'd love to see em! Thanks. 

2 hours ago, Mr BRAAAP said:

just got a new bike and a set of used ice tires from a buddy. Looking for get it on the lake this winter, anybody have any tips or point me to some resources for set up? 

What should I be doing to keep motor temp up, heat shield of some sort? Different thermo? Certain mix of coolant? 

If anybody has good ideas or links to good resources I'd love to see em! Thanks. 

If you REALLY want to keep the temps up for ice riding, just put water in the radiator.

4 hours ago, Dconer1 said:

If you REALLY want to keep the temps up for ice riding, just put water in the radiator.

I'm assuming your joking?

I don't ice ride but where I live I can normally ride snow free most winters but last year we had snow so I have studded tires (tapcon screw method)

Anyway I also rarely gets really cold but I run good Maxima Anti Freeze 365 and nothing else different than the summer.

Now with that said, there are quite a few guys here which should be able to give you some suggestions for ice riding etc.

Then IMO and obviously, from what I've see of true ice screws you DO NOT want to get aware close to them when they're spinning cus I call my studded tires the manglers :)

This was my back when I first made these.

DSCF0249.1.jpg.8b3d7ca4b482613498a824da31d31acb.jpg

Then after a few months but I ended up riding these for about a month with no snow and man they hook up on snotty/wet roots.

DSCF0296.JPG.fcbb48aa60c3e93c7d5a88404a5de2e4.JPG

Otherwise its a but too early to be taking about snow/ice BUT man there's no way I'm not riding 365 (but for the last 2 months cus our forest fire hazard has been EXTREME and a lot of areas are closed to off road vehicles :(

For below freezing / cold weather where no dust is anticipated, don't oil your air filter.

Filter oil will gel up, blocking the airflow.

Proper engine warm up before going WOT,

also perhaps partially blocking airflow to a radiator during operation.

(even for motocross, in 5-10°C (40-50°F) weather I slip a piece of cardboard in front of one of my YZ125 rads)

If a 2-stroke, you'll need to pay particular attention to the jetting, going richer as it gets colder.

Edited by mlatour
1 hour ago, filterx said:

I'm assuming your joking?

I don't ice ride but where I live I can normally ride snow free most winters but last year we had snow so I have studded tires (tapcon screw method)

Anyway I also rarely gets really cold but I run good Maxima Anti Freeze 365 and nothing else different than the summer.

Now with that said, there are quite a few guys here which should be able to give you some suggestions for ice riding etc.

Then IMO and obviously, from what I've see of true ice screws you DO NOT want to get aware close to them when they're spinning cus I call my studded tires the manglers :)

This was my back when I first made these.

DSCF0249.1.jpg.8b3d7ca4b482613498a824da31d31acb.jpg

Then after a few months but I ended up riding these for about a month with no snow and man they hook up on snotty/wet roots.

DSCF0296.JPG.fcbb48aa60c3e93c7d5a88404a5de2e4.JPG

Otherwise its a but too early to be taking about snow/ice BUT man there's no way I'm not riding 365 (but for the last 2 months cus our forest fire hazard has been EXTREME and a lot of areas are closed to off road vehicles :(

Yea, it was a joke. Def do not put water in it. Not much snow riding down here in Louisiana. But I sure would like to try it one day

6 minutes ago, Dconer1 said:

Yea, it was a joke. Def do not put water in it. Not much snow riding down here in Louisiana. But I sure would like to try it one day

Ya I figured you guys don't get much snow :) BUT man not sure if you dudes got hit by the last storm or if Irma is coming close  cus we get lots of rain in the PNW but those storms coming out of the Atlantic your way look BAD :(

Sweet. Thanks for the suggestions. Yeah I was thinking blocking air flow for sure. It was 58 deg on my way to work this morning and the bike didn't get above 116 deg. Which seems too low.

Bike is a 17 yz450fx. So no need for jetting. Bought it to not deal with that again hah.

5 minutes ago, filterx said:

Ya I figured you guys don't get much snow :) BUT man not sure if you dudes got hit by the last storm or if Irma is coming close  cus we get lots of rain in the PNW but those storms coming out of the Atlantic your way look BAD :(

Fortunately we barely got hit by Harvey except for a small portion of southwest la and it's not looking like Irma is coming this way. But you never know. It's taking the same track as Katrina did. 

Just now, Dconer1 said:

Fortunately we barely got hit by Harvey except for a small portion of southwest la and it's not looking like Irma is coming this way. But you never know. It's taking the same track as Katrina did. 

Ya hope everyone is safe in the US south east dude

4 minutes ago, Mr BRAAAP said:

Sweet. Thanks for the suggestions. Yeah I was thinking blocking air flow for sure. It was 58 deg on my way to work this morning and the bike didn't get above 116 deg. Which seems too low.

Bike is a 17 yz450fx. So no need for jetting. Bought it to not deal with that again hah.

Nice bike my friend :)

As I posted I'm sure some other guys will chime in some info for you.

Just now, filterx said:

Ya hope everyone is safe in the US south east dude

Yea no doubt. I went through it with Katrina. It's not fun. But the people down here are pretty resilient. We're used to it and we shine when the going gets tough

Ya we have been dealing with no rain for about 3 months and the worst forest fires since they have been recording them for the last 50 years and everyone pulls together when mother nature does it's worst (or made its her best and there is a reason for it).

2 minutes ago, filterx said:

Ya we have been dealing with no rain for about 3 months and the worst forest fires since they have been recording them for the last 50 years and everyone pulls together when mother nature does it's worst (or made its her best and there is a reason for it).

Yea It's crazy up there too. My buddy is from Montana and he said he's n3ver seen anything like it

I raced a winter series often in upstate Ny didn't really change anything from mx just a set of Trellborbs.  Work great on ice,frozen ground and tree roots. Only problem I ever had was keeping my fingers from freezing.  But as said above let bike warm up good and after washing it good to put inside if possible or blast heat from a salamander on it.

20170908_111719.jpg

20170908_111424.jpg

Edited by Motox367

Not sure if you can even get two separate density filters anymore, but if you run just the coarse filter you might be surprised how much more power you'll get.  Of course, if you have FI you may need a fuel tuner to get it jetted correctly.

Interesting call on non oiled filter, never thought of that, I have a couple so I'll just leave one cleaned and try it. Never would have thought it would gum up like that. 

I have a tuner for it it'll be easy to modify. 

You don't have to do anything to a fx other than changing the tires to ride it on a lake in the winter IMO.

That's the bike they use for snow bike/track kits as it deals with the snow/cold well.

You could look up some treads on 450fx snow bikes or on youtube, there's lots of info for riding that bike in the winter.

I rode my wr250r in the woods with studded tires the last few winters, since it had a fan I blocked the rad 3/4 off in front of the rad guard, if it ever did get up to temp the fan kept it from getting too hot as it could still pull air through the rad, that was the only thing I did to it.

I've never heard of not oiling the filter in the winter, whats that about? Is your filter getting snow on it too?

I've been running atv's for 25 years in the winter with oiled foam filters, they don't gel or clog in the cold. If your filter is getting blasted with snow you will have issues but that wont happen to a fx at all with the filter up front and never happened to my wr250r, its airbox is sealed up pretty good.

On 9/11/2017 at 8:53 AM, biglake said:

You don't have to do anything to a fx other than changing the tires to ride it on a lake in the winter IMO.

That's the bike they use for snow bike/track kits as it deals with the snow/cold well.

You could look up some treads on 450fx snow bikes or on youtube, there's lots of info for riding that bike in the winter.

I rode my wr250r in the woods with studded tires the last few winters, since it had a fan I blocked the rad 3/4 off in front of the rad guard, if it ever did get up to temp the fan kept it from getting too hot as it could still pull air through the rad, that was the only thing I did to it.

I've never heard of not oiling the filter in the winter, whats that about? Is your filter getting snow on it too?

I've been running atv's for 25 years in the winter with oiled foam filters, they don't gel or clog in the cold. If your filter is getting blasted with snow you will have issues but that wont happen to a fx at all with the filter up front and never happened to my wr250r, its airbox is sealed up pretty good.

Awesome. Good to hear. I didn't even think to check out what the snow bike guys did to it for winter haha. :banghead: dummy. Good call. Thanks for the advice. I'm stoked to get her out there. First time I'll ever ride a studded anything on ice. 

There's a local club that puts on a few races and practice days nearby so I'm for sure gonna hit that up and get my skills 

I ride my 450 all winter.  I just put bolted tires on and go an extra turn out on the fuel screw for the dense cold air. I put my socked feet in walmart bags with a foot warmer packet before putting on the riding boots. Hands are the challenge to keep good feel on the controls, yet insulated enough to stay warm.  Also, standard oiled air filter with Maxima FFT.

I think if I rode lakes I would prefer the tapcons pictured above, but for where I ride I like 1/4-20 bolts thru each knob.

boltedtires.jpg

ice tires.jpg

Edited by wielywilly-g

Those things are wicked!! I got a set with kold cutters on the kenda ice tires on trade for some stuff. I'll be running them primarily on ice they should work pretty well. 

You can't ride them on any of the sled trails around here so I wouldn't be able to get very far. I'd love to try though!