Tired of putting money into an old 2003 KX 250 that keeps breaking and isn't perfect for what I ride, has some upgrades but kills me every race from the suspension.  I like the bike but just don't want to be the guy who puts $1000 into suspension to make it suitable.  What does anyone think the best option would be? budget around $3000.  6ft 160lbs.  Really interested in a crf 450x or a wr450, and I know it will be heavy for me to handle but I'm hoping the trail settings and suspension should compensate and still be better than my KX (and it would still be a fun powerful bike).  Ideally I would want a 250f mx bike that already had the suspension work done, but that is rare.  Is there a certain 250f to buy that would have the "best" stock mx suspension for the woods?  Really want something reliable and newer (2006-2010ish) but I know I would be bored of a regular trail bike (KDX, 250x, TTR) after the first ride, and need something to be able to compete.  I can deal with my 250 2Ts power but the 450x torque might be a bit much in the PA single track.  KTM is an option, probably only a 2 stroke, but bikes newer than 2005 are fairly expensive and hard to come by.  Any suggestions for a competitive woods bike for that budget would be great, thanks.

Edited by Jake D

Freshen up the kx with oil ,springs for what you do and man is think that would be good woods bike.  Raced that same bike in 03. Got me to the expert class in mx. Brakes and front forks suck but was good enough . After doing few harescrambles on 450 last summer I can see where any 250 twostroke would be better for some people 

• Like 1

Flywheel weight? how can I find out what springs and suspension work I would need to do and would I be able to do it myself? recently replaced clutch, reeds, has PC pipe, Cycra probends, new fork seals and replaced oil.  Has pretty smooth powerband for a 250 mx and is a nice bike but was really beat up by previous owner and one by one things keep breaking ha.  What would the clicker settings on mx suspension look like for someone riding woods? Raced a KDX recently at the Rattlesnake National because the KX was broke and I don't think I would've been able to finish with my KXs harsh suspension.  Bike just beats the crap out of me and doesn't hook up like some 250fs Ive ridden.  Just has been making me rethink what I ride. Thanks!

I ride a well setup "16 yz250x...    great bike with lots of upgrades and close to the best off-road suspension in the world..    

We just got my brother a well setup 03 kx 250 with a off-road pro valved suspension.   Has 18" rear wheel, bark busters, skid plate ect...  He resprung, changed fork oil, added a new gnarley pipe, did the 04 kx250 powervalve mod, flywheel weight, new radiusX clutch, Tubliss, steering stabilizer. Ect        and it is sweet....I mean real sweet.   Suspension is better than a lot of new off-road race bikes for sure,  almost as good as my X.   The power is incredibly smooth now and the bike is insanely good on single track.  He hit the jackpot.. 

Im sorry to tell you but any bikes suspension should be, and needs to be, tuned and valved to the rider. Just the way it is...and some bikes (Ktm top of the list) are a crap shoot to get really good... The only bike that I've ever owned or ridden that didn't need it done is my yz250x but it still needed re-spring.

A 450 is always a bad idea in the woods especially if your budget is $3000.   Flameout is horrible on those in tight stuff and akin to strapping a 25# plate to the front and back of your bike.   I have been on them both, they suck everywhere but open desert or thumping down atv trails...Did I mention hard to start?

As far as a used 250f for woods goes, there are no clicker settings to make it any better than your current bike for woods, it will still need the same suspension work.  They are still heavier with less power and also flame out easily..   not to mention cost a ton to fix even if you do it.. 

What keeps breaking on your KX?  They are bulletproof if they are maintained..   😎

Edited by Nevada Al
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Jake D said:

Flywheel weight? how can I find out what springs and suspension work I would need to do and would I be able to do it myself? recently replaced clutch, reeds, has PC pipe, Cycra probends, new fork seals and replaced oil.  Has pretty smooth powerband for a 250 mx and is a nice bike but was really beat up by previous owner and one by one things keep breaking ha.  What would the clicker settings on mx suspension look like for someone riding woods? Raced a KDX recently at the Rattlesnake National because the KX was broke and I don't think I would've been able to finish with my KXs harsh suspension.  Bike just beats the crap out of me and doesn't hook up like some 250fs Ive ridden.  Just has been making me rethink what I ride. Thanks!

Yes those forks are easy to do. Stock spring rates probably good for your weight.  Far as clicker settings in not sure I'd think you'd wanna soften up compression some from stock maybe leave rebound in middle somewhere. I just left mine at my mx settings didn't have any problems.  Flywheel weight would be good idea.  I ran a 9oz in my yz250's for mx. Hooked up better.  Kx is fast bike likes to be in midd to upper rpms.  

Just fixed powervalve which sucked because the parts are hard to find and I had to buy a complete used set off ebay, clutch burned out, cosmetically it gets worse every race, not to mention the bike seizing a week after buying, and having to bend the subframe back into place from the previous owners crash.  Radiator cracked last race and got hot but still finished because I didn't realize until the end, ran like crap after race so took it to shop and needed new reeds and coil

Edited by Jake D

say I did find a decent ktm 200 250 300 exc, probably 2003-2008, would it be worth buying for the already woods suspension?

Just now, Jake D said:

say I did find a decent ktm 200 250 300 exc, probably 2003-2008, would it be worth buying for the already woods suspension?

Not unless somebody has pent 1200 bucks on the suspension and knew what they were doing.....  Wouldn't be my first pic but still better than any 4 stroke of same years.    

• Like 2

Check the local hare scramble series.  They always have some decint bikes on their website. 

23 hours ago, Jake D said:

Just fixed powervalve which sucked because the parts are hard to find and I had to buy a complete used set off ebay, clutch burned out, cosmetically it gets worse every race, not to mention the bike seizing a week after buying, and having to bend the subframe back into place from the previous owners crash.  Radiator cracked last race and got hot but still finished because I didn't realize until the end, ran like crap after race so took it to shop and needed new reeds and coil

$100 new plastics, $100 graphics (I only do this right before selling a bike), $60 clutch, $80 QSI Chinese eBay radiators (very strong; fit great on the KX!), $500 suspension service and new springs for your weight.... Note that pretty much any bike will need this eventually. 

I owned a CRF450X recently. Good bike but despite jetting it well it still flamed out and always on a technical hill climb. Got a F.I. KX250F. No flame out and very luggable compared to the carbureted ones. I'd pick up a YZ250FX though because electric start is great and their valve train seems to last longer too. Another nail in the coffin on the CRF450X is the CRAPPY electric starter. Not enough oomph to make the bike fire all day long. Bad charging system too even after complete replacement of electrical system.