Title lien?

Hi, 

About to purchase a yz250 with a Mississippi title. One thing I noticed on the title stating about some lien information. What does this mean? Am I still able to register this bike under my name in the state of California? If so what's the process? I also notice that the title is last registered in 99 which is the year of the bike. I've never dealt with or ever seen a title like this. I ran the vin and it seems clean. I also ran it through the dmv site for registration renewal calculator and unable to locate the vin number. Any information will be helpful, thanksIMG_8954.thumb.JPG.c300ed901a331b102c431fe5be5e7b4b.JPG

It means there was a lien on it when they bought it. The bank has released the title, meaning it doesn't any more.

If there was a lien, they wouldn't have the title.

Yes, you can still title it in your name.  The bike was purchased with a bank loan, the bank then signed the title stating the lien was paid, therefore it is the same as a clean title.

Thanks for the quick reply!! Since the title is from Mississippi, how do I register in California?

Just transfer it like anything else, but you'll need to take the bike with you so a DMV clerk can match up the vin. 

• Like 1

Is the name on the title the person selling it? If so, he needs to sign it as the Seller if there is a designated line for it. If the title isn't in his name, the person named must sign it. Lots of dirt bike sales don't have official title transfers when changing hands for sales tax or other reasons, creating problems for the next Buyer (DAMHIK).

Edited by 76xtdrvr
  • Like 1

The only thing that worries me is the title is made out to two people...  it says James AND Christopher.  Technically they both need to sign off.  Hopefully they both have.  Titles can say AND which requires two signatures...  or it san say OR meaning either party can sell the vehicle.  CA DMV can be picky...  and Mississippi rules apply anyway so an improper transaction could get the transaction bounced if not handled correctly when you take it in.  You won't know this for awhile but it's a low percentage concern.

Best option is to tell the seller to go do their own dirty work and get a current title here in CA.  Lazy sellers do NOT inspire confidence.  Lazy people don't do good bike maintenance either.

• Like 1