• Announcements

• Bryan Bosch

VIDEO RIDING TIP!   11/15/2017

How to ride rutted corners with Garrahan Off-Road Training

Metal and Dirt

Lefty anyone?

18 posts in this topic

I was wondering if any of the mountain bikers here have or have had Cannondale lefty suspension? The newer designs seem to be really good and well praised.

I've always wanted one. I might splurge on a new mountain bike instead of a dirt bike. Ye old RM250 is just too fun. Thought I'd shoot the breeze about it.

Two riding buddies of mine have them, like them and ride them well. I, on the other hand have a very hard time looking at them but took the bikes for a few rides and once on them, enjoy the ride too! OMG are they so weird to look at but once on the bike, you never notice the one leg fork and it certainly doesn't hurt your ride....albeit doesn't help either.

First of all, what kind of riding are you wanting to do?

How much are you looking to spend?

What's your stature?

They are really only a good light-mid range recreational mtn bike fork. Too heavy for real xc, too off balance for really rough stuff.

For your average trail rider, they are still pretty good. I wouldn't pass up a deal in something because of a head shocks lefty or fatty (rigid fork with shock under head tube), but I wouldn't make that fork my deciding factor for a cannondale either. In the same budget you will be looking at, I think companies like Fuji and Jamis have more to offer.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using ThumperTalk mobile app

I am 5'11 about 195 lbs. I usually do XC and enduro type riding. I've always been a little concerned about how well the lefty would hold up to jumping, roots, and rocks at speed.

I don't do crazy big jumps on my mtb, but I don't exactly take it easy on it either. I've found a few threads about the lefty searching around, but I know Cannondale updates them frequently. Parts and servicing are what I am kind of iffy about.

As far as budget, I would like to stay around $2500 tops. My other interest is building up around a nukeproof frame, so I have other ideas as well.

Edited by Metal and Dirt

do you enjoy the down hill as much as going up?

at your size you could roll on 27.5 or 29, it will be more of a personal preference thing.

I would avoid 26 its dying (both my bikes are 26)

I think you should pay more attention to the rear than the front,

For xc you want suspension that prevents pedal bob

The fox 36, and 40 forks use a pretty kick ass damper

I wouldn't use anything else. well there are a few other dh forks i wouldn't mind trying,

but for you i think a fox 36 is it.....

fox 34, have a simpler damper, and i don't like them much.

MY reccomendation are a pivot 5.5

but thats wayyyy outside the budget

so maybe a used 

pivot switchblade (can rock 27.5 wheels or 29) good all around

pivot 429 (XC ripper)

Im on a pivot 5.7 for xc and i love it!, but I wish i would have gone 27.5 and as I said earlier I don't love the fox 34

Id also consider

a santacruz

bronson or nomad

a divinci

spartan or troy

yeti

sb5.5 or sb6

ibis mojo

hd 4 or mojo 3

check out the intense bikes

spider, tracer, rekluse and carbine

so all of the bikes i mentioned aside from the divinci have a dw link, or vpp, or in the yeti's case a mechanical doppelganger of the dw link

they all pedal good, with the lockout off they pedal on flat or slight inclines like a hardtail

on the steepest stuff you can pedal up i still prefer a lockout with these types of suspensions, (or even better the rebound and comp lock that the cane creek shocks employ)

also,

beware, i cant praise fox forks with fit dampers enough, but their CTD shocks like the RP23 or fox float ctd are JUNK!

the float x2 twin tube is what you want from fox

or

a cane creek double barrel, just not the older inline ones that say "INLINE" you want the new ones that say "IL" or the piggybacks

also a word on wheel and tire,

you want 35mm wheels, the 2.6 and 2.8 tires are the way of the future.

they ride awsome

im not talking about the joke fat bike bullshit,

but the 27.5+

the wheels are 5mm or so wider than the ol average

you can still run normal tires even down to little skinny 2.1 , but you have the option to run high volume 2.6 or even 2.8 tires, that would flomp right over on old wheels

good luck!

:ride:

2 people like this

Awesome, thanks for that Englertracing. I'll look into my options. I am kind of out of touch with the newest mtb stuff. Still cranking away on my 26" hardtail.

I know and like the benefits of a hardtail but want a full suspension plenty of times. A good do it all bike is what I need. I am one of those riders that like climbing just as much as downhill, so the very same bike I just went uphill with needs to be able to fly down and go the rest of the 20 or so miles. Not worried about a bike weighing a few pounds more at all. The way I see it is that part of the reason I ride is to stay fit so a few extra pounds to push around are fine by me.

Planning on going 27.5 to try out the modern era of wheel sizes. 29 just doesn't feel right to me. 

It's funny to me, I remember not too long ago the philosophy of going to bigger wheels would have been laughed at. Excess wheel flex, weight, rotating mass. Now 26" are downhill only. Good stuff.

Thanks for the suggestions!

1 person likes this

21 minutes ago, Metal and Dirt said:

It's funny to me, I remember not too long ago the philosophy of going to bigger wheels would have been laughed at. Excess wheel flex, weight, rotating mass. Now 26" are downhill only. Good stuff.

well actually everyone in the DH pro ranks left the 26" train years ago....

I'm not sure you can even find new a top shelf dh bike with 26" wheels

maybe, just maybe some of the redbull rampage guys might run 26" like people used to run 24"

but as far as racing goes

the pros are testing/racing 29" wheels on the courses that that suit that..., which it seems many are as the current dh world cup stuff is becoming straighter and rougher with less turns

the good wheels and spokes today are quite killer

2 people like this

Metal and Dirt:

I feel like we could have much conversation on the subject. I am on a BMC team elite 29 for the last year and a half and like you love to climb. Coming from the road I obviously chose the hardtail. I am spinning the 29s with a 34 up front x11 and average 1500 feet of climbing on my 10 mile practice loops. I'm loving it. The fitter I get the more I can get up and over the more technical climbs clipped in without dabbing and the times and fitness get better and better. When it's time to dance with the boys for long technical rides I can destroy the kitted out 27.5s ie all of them.

Sent from my SM-G900V using ThumperTalk mobile app

1 person likes this

10 hours ago, mikerides33 said:

Metal and Dirt:

I feel like we could have much conversation on the subject. I am on a BMC team elite 29 for the last year and a half and like you love to climb. Coming from the road I obviously chose the hardtail. I am spinning the 29s with a 34 up front x11 and average 1500 feet of climbing on my 10 mile practice loops. I'm loving it. The fitter I get the more I can get up and over the more technical climbs clipped in without dabbing and the times and fitness get better and better. When it's time to dance with the boys for long technical rides I can destroy the kitted out 27.5s ie all of them.

Sent from my SM-G900V using ThumperTalk mobile app

You sound like a climbing machine. I don't think I put in that kind of height on my rides. The terrain in this region has the effect of making the tougher trails go up and down with liberal usage of the few steep hills in the area. Not many really long grinder hills that I have seen.

Still though, I love it. Nearly anything I descend I am like, "can I go up that?"

Recently climbing these steep rooted and Sandy hills has been one area of my riding that I believe my current old school bike is making more difficult. The majority of the ground here is a hard base with a layer of sand or loose dirt on top. I really feel for the first time that my 26"ers just don't have the bite. I believe my technique is good most of the time, but traction is hard to come by with the ground being as it is. By contrast if I try the very same hills after some light rain I feel attached to the ground. Those are the really good days.

On to the 29ers... Man, I don't know if I can be sold on those. I have considered that they would give a benefit on one extreme of the riding spectrum like efficiency, climbs, extra traction. Then there is just the feel of them, which is something far off for me. I guess I come from the opposite perspective of riding originally. I started off riding BMX and got into more of the free ride side of mountain biking. So having a rigid and responsive bike is almost a prerequisite to me at this point. Like I said I've given the 29's some thought, but I like my trails twisty and technical so it's hard to let go of my smaller wheels.

All this advice is questionable. 26 is still good enough for me and I bet anybody that cares too I could still beat them on a 26 @ 24 hours of summer solstice next summer.

It's all in the rider, not the bike.

If anybody actually cares to take me up on the offer, I wouldn't even mind racing on the same team.

14 hours ago, ToadalyCrazyCanadian said:

All this advice is questionable. 26 is still good enough for me and I bet anybody that cares too I could still beat them on a 26 @ 24 hours of summer solstice next summer.

It's all in the rider, not the bike.

If anybody actually cares to take me up on the offer, I wouldn't even mind racing on the same team.

when you ride down hill, and you want to pound your trail bike on the decent as if it was your dh bike, the bike does matter, it's a matter of safely, if you want a bike strong enough to deal with your antics that's not a heavy tank it's $$.  If you want durable stuff it's $$$.

the 27.5 wheels, help in that your bike actually deals with small stuff as if it were a 26 with more travel, but less momentum is lost in holes

so really 27.5 is a win up and a win down......

So it really depends what you wanna do....

But it always cracks me up to hear the low buck xc guys riding some junk i ditched in 1999 say yeah the bikes don't need to be that expensive unless your a top pro.....

its like dude, ill smash your wheels to pieces and bend your rear triangle, and cranks, but only a pro needs the good stuff.. right okay

to me i see that if you want versatility you needa spend the dough.

i rode my xc bike down this so my little brother could ride my dh bike.

with a lesser xc bike i wouldn't have gone flat out, but on my pivot 5.7 i trusted it (but was thinking about wheel damage)

I was significantly slower in everywhere with rocks except the smooth jump sections where i could put down some more cranking power and pump action, but it was pretty sketchy riding it like that..

my point is having the right tool for the job is always nice......

but if you buy a fancy enough tool it can do both jobs almost as well as the right tool

like a pivot switchblade for example, pedal up a hill pretty well, and you can blaze it down as well.....

Edited by EnglertRacing
1 person likes this

when you ride down hill, and you want to pound your trail bike on the decent as if it was your dh bike, the bike does matter, it's a matter of safely, if you want a bike strong enough to deal with your antics that's not a heavy tank it's $$.  If you want durable stuff it's $$$.
the 27.5 wheels, help in that your bike actually deals with small stuff as if it were a 26 with more travel, but less momentum is lost in holes
so really 27.5 is a win up and a win down......
So it really depends what you wanna do....
But it always cracks me up to hear the low buck xc guys riding some junk i ditched in 1999 say yeah the bikes don't need to be that expensive unless your a top pro.....
its like dude, ill smash your wheels to pieces and bend your rear triangle, and cranks, but only a pro needs the good stuff.. right okay
to me i see that if you want versatility you needa spend the dough.
i rode my xc bike down this so my little brother could ride my dh bike.
with a lesser xc bike i wouldn't have gone flat out, but on my pivot 5.7 i trusted it (but was thinking about wheel damage)
I was significantly slower in everywhere with rocks except the smooth jump sections where i could put down some more cranking power and pump action, but it was pretty sketchy riding it like that..
my point is having the right tool for the job is always nice......
but if you buy a fancy enough tool it can do both jobs almost as well as the right tool
like a pivot switchblade for example, pedal up a hill pretty well, and you can blaze it down as well.....

I have a bike for each job and just don't care to ditch, say my 7000$ xc bike for the next newest 7000$ xc bike because it's the current trend. If I still raced on a level where my bikes were covered, or I had some obligations to ride certain parts, definitely, but I don't feel it's enough improvement to get rid of bikes I know I love and paid an awful lot for.

There's diminishing returns on how new your bike is. 2001 vs today big difference. 2010 vs today not as much. Current steed is a long travel cromoly hardtail 29er, stable and fun as all hell. The wheel size debate is meh, 26 was just fine. I used to have a specialized big hit that had the 26 front,24 rear, the MTB community nowadays would render that basically unrideable. The rollover of measly 26 and 24" wheels, OMG might as well be square tires! Babies.MTB attracts the type where everyone thinks whatever next years crap is better by a long shot. I think it's plateaued now, just like dirt bikes. If your not running 142mm rear hubs and boost, you have to ask yourself; what are you even doing riding?

1 hour ago, RawbW said:

The wheel size debate is meh, 26 was just fine. I used to have a specialized big hit that had the 26 front,24 rear, the MTB community nowadays would render that basically unrideable. The rollover of measly 26 and 24" wheels, OMG might as well be square tires! Babies.MTB attracts the type where everyone thinks whatever next years crap is better by a long shot. I think it's plateaued now, just like dirt bikes. If your not running 142mm rear hubs and boost, you have to ask yourself; what are you even doing riding?

the wheel size debate is not at all meh 26" which both of my bikes are, is almost officially dead, nobody offers a 2017 26" in the high end spectrum. only cheap wall mart type stuff.

and the 27.5" vs 29" is the new debate

2 hours ago, EnglertRacing said:

the wheel size debate is not at all meh 26" which both of my bikes are, is almost officially dead, nobody offers a 2017 26" in the high end spectrum. only cheap wall mart type stuff.

and the 27.5" vs 29" is the new debate

@EnglertRacing

i know that, I don't own a 26 because I know it's dying(basically dead already). That's why when I built my hardtail last year I picked from 27.5 or 29 options. I'm saying they're not really that MUCH better. Yes the bigger wheels do have advantages.I get things have to change and improve as time goes on, but jeez people make it sound like 26 was unrideable or something. That's the part I find annoying. The mentality that everything that isn't the new standard is complete utter garbage. 

My favorite is the guys at the top before the descent who scoff at a long travel hardtail while owning their carbon enduros and ibis's only to see the shock when they have to get out of my way on the way down. They would've been better off with some talent than a fancy top dollar machine. And yes, I do know there's trails and faster riders that I couldn't get away with that on.

Edited by RawbW

5 hours ago, RawbW said:

@EnglertRacing

i know that, I don't own a 26 because I know it's dying(basically dead already). That's why when I built my hardtail last year I picked from 27.5 or 29 options. I'm saying they're not really that MUCH better. Yes the bigger wheels do have advantages.I get things have to change and improve as time goes on, but jeez people make it sound like 26 was unrideable or something. That's the part I find annoying. The mentality that everything that isn't the new standard is complete utter garbage. 

My favorite is the guys at the top before the descent who scoff at a long travel hardtail while owning their carbon enduros and ibis's only to see the shock when they have to get out of my way on the way down. They would've been better off with some talent than a fancy top dollar machine. And yes, I do know there's trails and faster riders that I couldn't get away with that on.

yes, its always great to outrun someone when they have you "outclassed" equipment wise

41 minutes ago, EnglertRacing said:

yes, its always great to outrun someone when they have you "outclassed" equipment wise

Now that I've bragged il probably get passed by someone on a ridgid 90s stump jumper :smashpc: