2015 ktm65 run at 60:1 👎👎

Did this ktm 65 engine lastnight guy said it didn't last a hour since rebuilt with hotrods crank.  But then tells me he runs 927 at 60:1 :facepalm:  came and got it this morning I put oem crank, bearings and seals back in it  told him to go to 40:1 but id run 32:1 with 927 anyway.  What you guys think on this? Only brought me the bottom end Idk who did last crank . Top pic is before I took apart bottom done. 60:1 just seems crazy to me and why it didn't last. Use to do couple local pro kids engines when they were younger on kx65s-125s 32:1 what they ran and would last 

20170907_165819.jpg

20170908_071523.jpg

20170908_071629.jpg

Edited by Motox367
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, DEMI said:

32:1 unless the rider just came off a crf70 or is new.

Exactly was I'm thinking exspecaily with 927. He did say ktm recommend 60:1 . Can't believe they would recommend that. Funny I just did a 85 engine for same guy couple weeks ago. So made sure I ask what ratio he useing in that.  40:1 in that one lol it's still going.   kid goes good races every weekend .  Thanks for the reply :thumbsup:

• Like 1

They recommend 40:1 for the 125/144, pure insanity to run 60:1 in a 65... good for business though!

• Like 1

Just now, DEMI said:

They recommend 40:1 for the 125/144, pure insanity to run 60:1 in a 65... good for business though!

Yes it is until they think it's my fault and that's not happening! 

Just now, Motox367 said:

Yes it is until they think it's my fault and that's not happening! 

Put it in writing, etc. Can only lead a horse to water.

• Like 1

Just now, DEMI said:

Put it in writing, etc. Can only lead a horse to water.

Yes for sure good advice.  Hey I like your profile pic sure looks alot like Unadilla back in the day?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DEMI said:

32:1 unless the rider just came off a crf70 or is new.

Even then, 32:1 will do no harm.  Jetted correctly it will not spooge or foul plugs.

It also entirely possible for a noob to burn down a motor just riding dirt roads and trails.  Track riding is actually less lube intensive since you have more wide open throttle time.  Riding around all the time on the pilot jet can be very harsh on a small bore.

• Like 1

Just now, turbo dan said:

Even then, 32:1 will do no harm.  Jetted correctly it will not spooge or foul plugs.

It also entirely possible for a noob to burn down a motor just riding dirt roads and trails.  Track riding is actually less lube intensive since you have more wide open throttle time.  Riding around all the time on the pilot jet can be very harsh on a small bore.

Totally agree

• Like 1

yep definitely some sort of written proof - invoice whatever - otherwise might come back on you "The guy that did the work recommended 60:1" sort of thing.

• Like 1

It depends what kind of oil you use.  I ran my sx85 at 65:1 with amsoil saber.  This is what the bottle recommended.  I called the local ktm dealership just to make sure though lol.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, S.O.A.N.Z said:

yep definitely some sort of written proof - invoice whatever - otherwise might come back on you "The guy that did the work recommended 60:1" sort of thing.

Ya I'm not worried about it he's going to run 40:1 it be fine  I'm sure

4 minutes ago, Slicing-Air said:

It depends what kind of oil you use.  I ran my sx85 at 65:1 with amsoil saber.  This is what the bottle recommended.  I called the local ktm dealership just to make sure though lol.  

That just sounds crazy to me exspecaily on a small bore. Could see it working on a 500. Just can't believe a company would recommend such a lean mixture 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Motox367 said:

That just sounds crazy to me exspecaily on a small bore. Could see it working on a 500. Just can't believe a company would recommend such a lean mixture 

Yes i know, it does sound crazy :lol:!  I guess this oil is extra thick and condensed so you can run it at such a lean mixture.   It's actually designed for small 2t engines such as lawn mowers, weed eaters etc. but can be used in a 85 cc and under 2t dirt bike as well.  Anyway, it doesn't matter.  I like the smoke anyway so run it at 20:1 for all i care lol. 

ATP-2Cycle.jpg

• Like 1

Doesn't make any sense to recommend a ratio that will not work for everyone in every possible situation.  That's the whole point of 32:1.  No matter what you ride or how you ride it, 32:1 will provide safe lubrication. 

I think the specific issue with saber has been covered previously.  Amsoil does not recommend it for motorcycle applications.  Instead they recommend their dominator product at 50:1. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, turbo dan said:

Doesn't make any sense to recommend a ratio that will not work for everyone in every possible situation.  That's the whole point of 32:1.  No matter what you ride or how you ride it, 32:1 will provide safe lubrication. 

I think the specific issue with saber has been covered previously.  Amsoil does not recommend it for motorcycle applications.  Instead they recommend their dominator product at 50:1. 

Exactly . I've always recommend and used 32:1 . Told him that but atleast he gunna switch it to 40:1 bike will have a chance then lol

17 minutes ago, Slicing-Air said:

Yes i know, it does sound crazy :lol:!  I guess this oil is extra thick and condensed so you can run it at such a lean mixture.   It's actually designed for small 2t engines such as lawn mowers, weed eaters etc. but can be used in a 85 cc and under 2t dirt bike as well.  Anyway, it doesn't matter.  I like the smoke anyway so run it at 20:1 for all i care lol. 

ATP-2Cycle.jpg

Yes I do alot of saw engines also and cut firewood myself.  50:1 but those are different story. But I'd never run 60:1 in my husky saws let alone 100:1 lol I've only ever used maxima 927 before that superM . My old mentor and I got 5gal bucket every year

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, turbo dan said:

Yes sir, your right.  Keep it simple.

• Like 1