Cam holder help

I wanted to see if anyone knows the part number of the intake cam holder for an 06 yz450f or if one from am 09 yz450f will fit. I was rushing through a cam chain replacement and gouged the surface right next to the circlip. I smoothed the surface with some emery cloth but since i cam get a new cap for $50 on ebay i didn't figure it was worth the risk.

2 hours ago, tmeyer37 said:

I wanted to see if anyone knows the part number of the intake cam holder for an 06 yz450f or if one from am 09 yz450f will fit. I was rushing through a cam chain replacement and gouged the surface right next to the circlip. I smoothed the surface with some emery cloth but since i cam get a new cap for $50 on ebay i didn't figure it was worth the risk.

Cam caps are matched to the head. That's why the factory doesn't sell them separately. Either you need to use the one you have or send the head out to be repaired. 

Engine Dynamics fixes those issues. http://www.enginedynamics.com/

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, stevethe said:

Cam caps are matched to the head. That's why the factory doesn't sell them separately. Either you need to use the one you have or send the head out to be repaired. 

Engine Dynamics fixes those issues. http://www.enginedynamics.com/

Thank you for the advice. I ran the circlip through the groove several time and it is smooth as well as smoothed out the mating surface to the bearing where it contacts the cam cap. It feels smooth to the touch with my finger nail. if it is a smooth surface and the circlip fits just like the other cam cap do you think that would not cause damage or is it not worth it? The cam move smooth and freely with it all torqued down. 

5 minutes ago, tmeyer37 said:

Thank you for the advice. I ran the circlip through the groove several time and it is smooth as well as smoothed out the mating surface to the bearing where it contacts the cam cap. It feels smooth to the touch with my finger nail. if it is a smooth surface and the circlip fits just like the other cam cap do you think that would not cause damage or is it not worth it? The cam move smooth and freely with it all torqued down. 

If only the part of the cap that got beat up was the one that holds the ball bearing and you reassemble it and there is no play at the bearing (check with the cam chain off) you will be fine.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, William1 said:

If only the part of the cap that got beat up was the one that holds the ball bearing and you reassemble it and there is no play at the bearing (check with the cam chain off) you will be fine.

Yeah that is the only part that was damaged. It feels good to me. almost got her back together so we will see in about 25 minutes. 

Thanks for all the help people

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, tmeyer37 said:

fired up and ran great, no weird noise. Ran just like it did before I took it apart. 

New problem, the brass fuel inlet into the carb is leaking fuel. I just rode 2.5 weeks ago and it wasnt leaking then WTF!

There are two orings on the inlet. Probably because the carb was off, no fuel in it, they dried out and cracked. Not uncommon.

Just now, William1 said:

There are two orings on the inlet. Probably because the carb was off, no fuel in it, they dried out and cracked. Not uncommon.

Yeah I just did a search on here and found it is pretty common. I was gonna order fork seals and a few other parts today so I will throw them on the order. Trying to get the bike read for red sticker season which is right around the corner. Doing maintenance and finding new problems in the process is always fun!