TheLastByte

Any riders in the NY Capital District?

Look, I know that learning how to ride a bike and use the internet is likely to tax your average Upstate resident's grey matter to its limit, but if I can do it so can you. It would be awesome if we could get a small group together before the season closes, especially with plated bikes/dualsports. I know a fair amount of decent trails east of the river that I wouldn't mind sharing.

Edited by TheLastByte
  • Like 1

I'm in the Scotia area and have a plated xcw and dr650. Been trying to find legal trails since I moved here.

12 hours ago, MT_Rider said:

I'm in the Scotia area and have a plated xcw and dr650. Been trying to find legal trails since I moved here.

Unfortunately, the sort of legal trails on public land that seem to be fairly common out west aren't really a thing in NY. In fact, I'm fairly certain that offroading on public land is officially banned here. If you want to stay strictly within the bounds of the law you will have to pay for membership to a private riding club like CATRA or hilltown riders.

What most riders around here (myself included) do is find trails that, while not technically legal, are remote enough or well traveled enough that the powers that be never give us any trouble for riding there.

• Like 1

Unfortunately, the sort of legal trails on public land that seem to be fairly common out west aren't really a thing in NY. In fact, I'm fairly certain that offroading on public land is officially banned here. If you want to stay strictly within the bounds of the law you will have to pay for membership to a private riding club like CATRA or hilltown riders.
What most riders around here (myself included) do is find trails that, while not technically legal, are remote enough or well traveled enough that the powers that be never give us any trouble for riding there.

Where are your trails located?

9 minutes ago, MT_Rider said:

Where are your trails located?

They're spread out throughout Rensselaer county, though most of them are either near Troy or in the Stephentown / Cherry Plain area. I've never ridden at catra, but I've heard that it's mostly flowing singletrack there. The trails around here are the opposite of that, being mostly either open, rocky twotrack or slimy technical nastiness, that may be a good or bad thing depending on your taste.

It would be cool if we could get together a small group ride before the season gives out, Columbus day weekend would work well for me if the weather cooperates.

They're spread out throughout Rensselaer county, though most of them are either near Troy or in the Stephentown / Cherry Plain area. I've never ridden at catra, but I've heard that it's mostly flowing singletrack there. The trails around here are the opposite of that, being mostly either open, rocky twotrack or slimy technical nastiness, that may be a good or bad thing depending on your taste.
It would be cool if we could get together a small group ride before the season gives out, Columbus day weekend would work well for me if the weather cooperates.

I think that weekend would work for me, I can bring an extra who lives near Troy as well.

On 9/27/2017 at 9:37 PM, MT_Rider said:

I think that weekend would work for me, I can bring an extra who lives near Troy as well.

Great. Sunday afternoon works best for me but I can do Saturday if the weather doesn't cooperate. 

I live in schenectady but ride in glenville and duanesburgh. Count me in for riding if you get something together. 

On 11/15/2017 at 9:19 PM, Shields164 said:

I live in schenectady but ride in glenville and duanesburgh. Count me in for riding if you get something together. 

Cool. I doubt I'll be able to scrape anything together before next spring, but maybe we'll get lucky and get another 75 degree Christmas.     

• Like 1

I'm still in.  Someone with connections to trails or land needs to set this up. I ride at friends houses and I don't think they'd be cool with having a large group riding their property. Anyone got some options?

• Like 2

Yet another up.

Hard to believe I was out riding this time last year. Maybe this thread will get a little more interest when the season rolls back around. If it ever does...

Out of curiosity, what kind of bikes are y'all riding, and what's your experience and skill level? 

Edited by TheLastByte

This weather is awful. I ride a yz450f and have been riding for a few years. Can't wait to get out there again!