450 SX-F, 2018 or 2017 for $1k less

Hi folks,

Pretty much what the title says.  Both bikes are brand new on the showroom floor.  Sticker price before any negotiations is $1,000 apart. 

I'm 51 years old, Vet B rider, Motocross and GPs mainly.  I'll probably have the suspension done for me but not right away.

What are your thoughts? I'm leaning toward the 2018 for the suspension valving differences and the changes in the transmission gears.  But, what's that really worth?

Thanks

Dave

Transmission gears ?the suspension is improved on the 18 and the resale will be over 1k more

you can't argue with stupid or Yamaha owners

• Like 1

I chose the 2017 for the black frame and the $2000 off from MSRP.

For the suspension, it's so easily tunable that you will likely just need a rear spring for your weight. 

• Like 3

From a value point of view the 18 is better value the second you walk out the door

• Like 1

Pretty much what everyone else said, for $1k get the 18. I got a little over 2k off of a 17, but if it was a smaller gap I would have just got the 18. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Decreasing Dave said:

Thanks guys.  That's pretty much what I was thinking, but on a $10k purchase on a dirtbike, you REALLY want to make sure that you're doing the right thing.

Dave

For sure, because you need to maximise the rest of the other 10k so you don't miss out on mods. :-)

• Like 1

I chose the 2017 for the black frame and the $2000 off from MSRP.
For the suspension, it's so easily tunable that you will likely just need a rear spring for your weight. 

That is exactly what I did...got the 2017 and heavier weight rated spring.

Love this bike

I'll go ahead give my 2 cents...I agree with most of what everyone else seems to be saying. Since it's only 1000.00 difference go with the '18. If it was 1500.00 or more I'd say go with the '17, especially if you plan on having the suspension revalved. Now with that being said I disagree on the resale. I don't see over 1000.00 resale difference between a 17 and 18 once the 18 Fe or 19 comes out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using ThumperTalk mobile app

Here the difference between a 16 and 17 is around 1000

Here the difference between a 16 and 17 is around 1000

I've owned many bikes with my 17 450sxf being my first Ktm. From what I've noticed in the past, when a new redesigned model comes out it kills the resale value of the previous model. I don't think Ktm is immune to that. Now with that being said I don't consider myself stupid but I have owned many YAMAHA'S and still do own one, so don't argue with me Mog!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using ThumperTalk mobile app

• Like 3

On ‎9‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 6:33 PM, dozer996 said:

That is exactly what I did...got the 2017 and heavier weight rated spring.

Love this bike

The 2017 has a heavier spring than the 2018?  I'm 210 naked, I guess either way I will need to buy a new spring so the 2018 it is.

Dave

Talking to a reputable suspension shop, they said the stocker in tbe 17/18 450sxf (same rate @45n/mm) would be good for around 200-220lbs so I would try to set your sag before planning on a new spring...

Sent from my SM-G390W using ThumperTalk mobile app

• Like 1

I purchased my 17 450FX for $8,300 OTD 3 weeks ago and couldn't be happier. If someone was going to sell me an 18' for $9,300 I wouldn't think twice about the 17 because the changes aren't enough to justify it.

Just my .02 pesos. 

Edited by JakeTheGreat

12 minutes ago, JakeTheGreat said:

I purchased my 17 450FX for $8,300 OTD 3 weeks ago and couldn't be happier. If someone was going to sell me an 18' for $9,300 I wouldn't think twice about the 17 because the changes aren't enough to justify it.

Just my .02 pesos. 

Where did you find that deal Jake?  The bikes I'm referencing are stickered at $7999 and $8999, 17/18 respectively.  I was quoted a "from the hip" price of "OTD for under $10k" for the 2018.  While I know I haven't received any hard and fast numbers, I was just  using some rough math to figure where it all stood.

Dave